How to get "Pie Crust" flavor in Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauerbrewery1989

Reaction score
So I made a simple cider and added apple pie spice to the secondary. It turned out amazing, but wanted to up the recipe to have a crust flavor, to make a true liquid apple pie cider.

Any thoughts of how to do this? I was thinking graham crackers in the secondary, or finding a graham cracker extract.

A graff with biscuit or other doughy flavored malt might give you the flavor profile you're looking for.

I was thinking of using Victory Malt, but was wondering if there was a way to get a more graham cracker flavor then a biscuit flavor. I may have to try it out though.

Hmm, butter extract, that's an intriguing concept. I was thinking of using graham cracker extract, but maybe adding the butter extract as well would help the flavor.

NTexBrewer said:
How about Malted Milk Powder that you use to make Malt Shakes or Malt Ice Cream. I think this is actually made from Barley. It may be easier to control the flavor.
Horlicks or Ovaltine?

Mmm....Milo Cider. Now i can get buzzed AND prevent bone loss. Haha, I may have to try that, Ill have to try some butter extract too. Looks like I'm making a big batch and splitting it up to see what works.

Ill try butter extract, Milo powder, and crushed up graham crackers. Ill probably get this started this weekend.

I was thinking the same thing, its my next project after I have enough cider for winter. I was going to use the powder and also deconstruct the ingredients and incorporate them accordingly. That's another thread though, haha

So I added 1/2 tsp of butter extract and 1/4 tsp vanilla extract to a gallon of some cider that was ready to be bottled. I wouldn't say it tastes like crust, but I really like the flavor it imparts. Very smooth, light "buttery" flavor, but it works somehow with the apple pie spices.

Latest posts

Back