How to get dried wort off the ceiling???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cossi

Reaction score
Any tips? Please!!!! Wife isn't happy. the cieling is painted and textured, and would rather not have to repaint.

Anyone?:cross:

Give the wife a few home brews... she'll still be pissed, but she will come to accept it.

Have you tried just 409 or some other spray cleaner? spray it on there really good, and then dab or wipe it off with a sponge / rag / towel. Also could try using some oxy clean and water. It cleans most everything else I brew, so I guess why not give that a shot. All your really looking at is essentially dried sugar water, I'd see no point in re-painting. Happy scrubbing!

BainbridgeBrewer said:
Have you tried just 409 or some other spray cleaner? spray it on there really good, and then dab or wipe it off with a sponge / rag / towel. Also could try using some oxy clean and water. It cleans most everything else I brew, so I guess why not give that a shot. All your really looking at is essentially dried sugar water, I'd see no point in re-painting. Happy scrubbing!

Watch the eyes! Hit it with some oxyclean and water.

if you have the exact same can of paint you can touch up the spot. no one will ever notice but you and maybe SWMBO.

My recommendation: LADDER AND SOME LICKS....in fact, that can be the name of the brew that created the issue in the first place!

I found that a vinegar and water solution cleans dried sticky DME off of things in my kitchen.. might be worth a shot, although most ceilings are typically painted with flat paint which does not clean well, if at all.

Word to the wise about repainting... your ceiling is almost certainly painted with a waterborne paint and, since wort is mostly water, you run the risk of the having the stain bleed back through your new coat of paint as the water in the paint "reactivates" the water-based stain. Avoid this by using an oil based stain blocking primer.

The best part about this thread is that no one asked "how did that happen" - kinda like we all know how it happened. :D

Had a blackberry wine do that last year. Simple Green Lemon is your friend!!!:mug: Had it cleaned up SWMBO never knew!!!:D

manly1.jpg

That should do you just fine..

Back