How to get a dry beer & fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emc

Reaction score
Ok, so perhaps I should start two threads since I realize this is two questions, but since one relates to the other here goes. Lets assume I know nothing, which isn't hard to do, and I want my beers to have a "dry" finish. What would everyone suggest to do that? Which leads to second question, what does it mean to have an aggressive fermentation? Meaning, what can i do to keep the fermentation going longer to help get the fullest attenuation? I am brewing all grain at this point, use starters (maybe i should start making bigger ones), and am generally happy with the beer I'm making so far. I would like to get a drier finish on my saisons and belgiums, but feel like I read conflicting info, have tried some of what Ive read but not gotten the result I'm after, hence the "lets assume I know nothing" approach for advice. I heard on a couple of the brewing network podcasts people talking about "aggressive fermentation" but never really gave details to what they were doing. Since i figure the better the ferment, the fuller the yeast will attenuate, hence drier beer?

Well, you seem to be way more experienced than me, but since we're pretending you "know nothing", my first thought on a drier beer is to add honey to the boil.

For a dry beer I would:

Use a low mash temp (148-149).
Mash Long (90 minutes at least) to ensure a very fermentable wort.
Pitch a large starter
Allow temp to rise at end of fermenation (into the 80s isn't uncommon for Saisons).

I agree with Broadbill. Also use high attenuating yeast. Amalyse Enzyme possibly? Warmer ferment temps and big starters. Nutrients wouldnt hurt.

I made a Dry Rice beer a while back that came out really good. I forget the recipe but it had quite a bit of pilsner malt, and some rice.

I did a protein rest at 122 degrees for half an hour, and then brought the temp up to 148 degrees for 90 minutes. The resulting beer was very low in body super clear, and had a very nice dry finish at the end.

You can add some corn sugar at the end of boil to thin the beer out a bit, some honey as previous poster mentioned would help as well. But really the kind of dry you’re looking for will have to come from a very healthy fermentation, and a low mash temp. I am no expert but this really made the beer dry out nice, it was perfect with some sushi.

After reading brew like a monk I tried to formulate a Russian River Damnation clone. Mashed low, added sugar to the grain bill. Came out nothing like damnation but a good STRONG Belgium. I know it fermented well, it's almost too alcohol forward. Thing is, doesn't really have that dry finish. Made the bbd saison chesher cat has posted on this board, since I can't let anything be I tweaked it a little, this time went candi sugar for the dry. Ended up with a screamingly good apa, real nice drinkable beer, but not dry. Have a saison I put into a secondary to rest after 3 weeks of fermenting, ramped the temp at the end. Since it's still sitting don't know how it tastes yet, but from the little taste I took when I transferred, good, but not dry. I am going to do a Belgium blonde this weekend so figure start asking advice now.

A trick that works with saisons and belgians is to add the sugar after a few days of fermentation. The yeast eats the harder to ferment sugars first then after the krausen begins to recede make a simple syrup with the sugar. Cool to the temp your brew is at and add it. Ferrmentation takes off like a rocket again. I do this with most of my belgians and saisons.

For the saison if you use 3711 it will finish very dry. For other Belgian yeasts let it warm up after initial fermentation slows and then let it stay in the primary for longer. It will slowly drop a couple of extra points if you give it some time.

Belgians ans Saisons are my favorite brews to make and I have done severalof them lately.

Back