How to fit cascade hops into this recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
I have some fresh cascade hops I grew that I want in this recipe I have. It's an ESB I bought from Northern brewer. The hops are:

Glacier .5oz(First hops in)
Warrior .5oz (90Mins)
Glacier 1.75oz 0min
2.5oz Glacier Dry Hop

Can cascade fit in this recipe as aroma or should I just keep The glacier??

some at 15 minutes will give you some citrus flavor. Some at 5 will give you more citrus aroma. Some dryhopped will give you some raw citrus hoppiness in the flavor/aroma areas, without much/any bitterness. Just depends on what you want in your ESB.

with 2.5 oz already dryhopped, i wouldnt add more there. maybe a 15 or 10 minute addition, if anything.

i tend to always fall back to the same hop schedules on ipas. 60/30/0 or 60/15/5/0 ... both with dryhops.

with 2.5 oz already dryhopped, i wouldnt add more there. maybe a 15 or 10 minute addition, if anything.

i tend to always fall back to the same hop schedules on ipas. 60/30/0 or 60/15/5/0 ... both with dryhops.

I wouldn't add more either, but you could always replace an ounce of glacier with cascade for a little more dryhop variety, and put the extra glacier as a late addition.

I like 60/15/5/0 too, with dryhop of course.

That recipe you have there is an English beer, leaning toward flowery/herbal English hop flavor and aroma. Dropping citrusy Cascade in will completely change the recipe, from an ESB to some kind of bastardized APA. It will still be good, but why not just make it as the HBS intended?

That recipe you have there is an English beer, leaning toward flowery/herbal English hop flavor and aroma. Dropping citrusy Cascade in will completely change the recipe, from an ESB to some kind of bastardized APA. It will still be good, but why not just make it as the HBS intended?

Your right... It is an English beer. http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...itter-brewer-pro-series-partial-mash-kit.html

The description does mention citrus notes. You are right I'll keep as is and use the extra cascade for another recipe.

A wise move. I'm a firm believer in brewing brews to their recipes, instead of making everything taste like grapefruit juice. I'm not saying Left-Coast IPAs are bad, just that there are other styles to be experienced.

I get a good amounts of citrus from glacier, and have used them in multiple beers with other citrusy hops. They pair well with cascade, but do seem out of place in an ESB.

Back