How to filter out grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am very new brewer and I am wondering if I can fix a mistake. For my third batch I tried doing a partial mash for the first time. Long story short I ended up with a pretty good amount of grain particles in my wort. Right now it is happily fermenting away. I was wondering what all of you more experienced brewers would recommend I do to remove as much of this as possible when I move to secondary. Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Clamp a sanitized nylon or muslin bag (your LHBS will have them) over the "out" end of your racking/siphon tube. Leave plenty of slack in the bag -- don't stretch it tight across the end of the tube. It will catch the grain. (You can try it on the "in" end, but it's more likely to clog and stop your siphon).

Bike N Brew said:
Clamp a sanitized nylon or muslin bag (your LHBS will have them) over the "out" end of your racking/siphon tube. Leave plenty of slack in the bag -- don't stretch it tight across the end of the tube. It will catch the grain. (You can try it on the "in" end, but it's more likely to clog and stop your siphon).

Good suggestion.

I would also suggest getting a big nylon bag and put all the grain for your partial mash in that bag. Nylon will cost more the muslin but you can reuse it for partial mashes, filtering wort, etc. They are a good, cheap thing to have around just in case.

I did use a nylon bag for the partial mash, but I think the one I chose was too coarse. Next time I need to choose a finer mesh. I mashed in a 5 gallon beverage cooler, I guess I could invest in a false bottom.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the straining bag over the end of the hose trick and see how it works.

-Steve

Back