How to dry to 1.000

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zickefoose

Reaction score
I'm brewing a braggot soon and I really wanna squeeze as much ABV out of it as possible. I'm thinking it will be more like a mead than a red ale (atleast that's what I hope).

Recipe:
15.5 lb 2-row
2 lb Crystal 60L
1.5 lb Crystal 20L

Warrior Hops

Cal Ale and Champagne yeasts

6lbs honey in primary

Here's the question:

A friend of mine said that he brewed a Barleywine that started out at a 1.200 and lagered it, when his krausen started to fall he pitched WLP099 super high gravity ale yeast. He said this dried it out to an even 1.000. I'm just curious if this is possible... would it work? Also, I want to use WLP715 Champagne Yeast instead... will it still dry it out to around 1.000?

I can't seem to get a definite answer out of any calculators.

Unless he used mostly just table sugar, I have a hard time believing that a 1.200 barleywine dropped to 1.000. If it did, I'm not sure I'd want to drink it.

The calculators won't predict FG with any kind of accuracy, though I suspect you'll get near 1.000 with that much honey. Mash relatively cool and pitch tons and tons of healthy yeast. You might want to cut some of the crystal, as well, since that won't ferment as much.

I dont think that is possible, maybe the temperature was off when he took his reading. I could be wrong would like to hear what others have to say.

Don't be scared to mash overnight at around 65 C.

You want dry ? this is a good way to get it.
Mash in at 11 pm. Go to bed. Sparge 7am.

No one can tell you the projected final gravity of a beer unless they know all details.

I get my Duvel (OG 1.072) to finish at 1.002 using an o'nite mash, the correct amount of sugar and adding it at the right time during early primary and ramping towards the end and also there's no crystal.

Hi, to the guy who just sent me a PM about the Duvel... sorry I lost the PM... long story. I also don't remember your name so if you can PM me again I have your reply waiting. No need to ask the Q again, just PM me.
Cheers,
Paul.

eltorrente said:
No, it's not possible. Your friend is a mistaken.

I'm not entirely convinced that it isn't possible. Perhaps if you got it a attenuated as possible and then iced it. Alcohol being lower density than water might bring it down, though a bw should typically have a good amount of unfermentables in it.

Back