How to Determine Tri-Clamp Size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to start moving towards Tri Clover fittings. I will still have 1/2 inch pipe thread on several valves so will need Tri's that fit them. Is there a Tri fitting size that most use that works well? Will use 1/2" pipe and hoses as well. From what I see on several distributors there is a choice of diameters on the Tri ferrell. Just wondering what to start out with. I won't be doing the switch over all at once, so I could imagine buying from different vendors on HBT as well as others.

The fittings I am using for my setup's plumbing are 3/4" mini-triclamps. They can be hard to find and sometimes expensive. Cheapest size will most likely be 1.5", I felt they were too large. A sizing guide can be found with google or on www.gvc.net

Most of my items were purchased from ebay or gvc. Keep in mind 1/2" and 3/4" share the same clamps, as do 1.5" and some 1". The sizes are referencing the external pipe diameter.

Thanks guys, charts like those are what prompted my question. I probably should have asked what size Tri's do Swagman and Brewers Hardware typically sell? Are the sizes they sell interchangeable with each others and other distributors? I think the interchangeability is one of the benefits of Tri's but I have no experience with them yet.

The 1.5" items are easy to come by and I know at least Brewer's Hardware sells those. Unless you are brewing up BBL+ batchs I can't think of a need for anything bigger.

The 3/4" fittings I use have 0.63" IDs which should be adequate for my 10gal batches.

Nearly all Tri-clamp/tri-clover fittings should work with each other provided they are the same size.

edit: typo

Go with 1"....easy to find and about 7/8 id. Don't mix/match sizes or you'll have liquid pooling in the lines. Also, note the difference in gaskets for 1 and 1.5.....

Back