How to convert wit extract to all grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbehr

Reaction score
My wife and I loved this beer and would prefer for it to taste pretty much exactly the same. Can I convert this or am I better just buying the kit again? I washed my yeast and plan to use that.

I"m guessing the malt can be converted rather easily but I'm not certain what's in the 1/2 lb belgian aromatic malt mixture?

4 - lbs Muntons Wheat Malt Extract
2 - lbs Pilsen Malt

1/2 -lb Belgian Aromatic Malt

1/2 oz Belgian Bitter Orange Peel (last 15 minutes of boil)
3/4 Teaspoon Crushed Coriander seeds (last 15 minutes of boil)

3/4 oz Willamette Hops (bittering)1 hour(4.0 HBU)
1/4 oz Willamette or Saaz Hops (flavoring)last 15 minutes
1/2 oz Saaz Hops (finishing) last 3 minutes

White Labs WLP 400 Belgian Wit Yeast or safale s-33 dry yeast

The aromatic malt is just that- Belgian aromatic malt. You can buy it at any homebrew store.

Let's see- Munton's wheat malt extract is 55% wheat malt and 45% barley malt, so that would be what would replace the wheat extract. And the pilsen extract could be subbed with pilsner malt, with a tiny bit of carapils.

I would assume an OG of 1.055 for your extract batch? So, for an AG version, I'd go with:

4 lbs White Wheat Malt
3 lbs 2-Row
3 lbs Pilsner (Belgian)
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine

Belgian Aromatic Malt is just a type of malt. If your local shop doesn't carry it, you can order it online.

Muntons wheat is 55% wheat or about half and half. So, you've got about 2lbs wheat to 4 lbs barley. To match that ratio, you would need 1 lbs wheat to 2 lb pilsner. Scale up based on your efficiency and batch size.

FWIW I like Yooper's recipe, but I wouldn't use any 2-row. I'd use 4# wheat, 6# Pils. Not sure if you'd taste the difference or not.

L

"1 pound wheat to 2 pounds pils is not 45% and 55%. It's 33% and 66%. "

That is just the wheat extract. The recipe adds pilsner for the rest of the grain bill bringing the ratio really close to 1:2.

Gotcha. I was a bit confused at first, but looking back at the recipe, I now follow ya!

I recently made a wit and used flaked wheat in place of wheat malt and Munich in place of the carapils. I also use 1# of flaked oats. No 2-row, all Belgian pilsner in the recipe I used. (Wittebrew from Brewing Classic Styles). A lot of wit recipes get up to around 50/50 malt-to-wheat.

If you use all pilsner grain you might think about adjusting your pre-boil volume up a bit so you can boil longer (~90 minutes) to reduce the pilsner DMS.

Start the ferment at 68 (20C) and raise it slowly to 72 (22C) after 1/3 of fermentation is complete (at about 1.029 or so depending on your OG).

Finally ready to brew this again!!! What do you suggest, mash @ 154 due to having the cara-pils for 60 minutes? Boil 90 if I go with Yooper's 3lb of pils malt or isn't that necessary with that small of an amount?

Latest posts

Back