How to completely remove water from an immersion chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An air compressor and a lot of air? I have a copper one and I don't bother to make sure ALL the water is out. I just turn it upside down then blow into the tubing until most of the water is out then I put it on my shelf.

Stainless steel won't rust so why are you worried about getting ALL the water out?

I use CO2 to blow out water.

First I drain it as best I can by flipping it upside down and swinging it to get the water out of the coils.

Then I hook it up to the CO2 tank. I have a short piece of tubing with a garden hose adapter on one end especially for this purpose. A few quick bursts of CO2 and I *always* get more water out, even if I thought it was dry before.

(I've seen upgraded to a plate chiller, where getting the water out is even more important, and I use the same technique. I also have a length of drinking-water-safe garden hose that I use to fill my brewing vessels, and I blow that dry as well.)

If you had an air compressor I think you'd be able to do the same thing with that. But I have the CO2 handy and it's easy.

Built this from parts at HomeDepot. Hooks up to an air compressor and works great.

IMG_20130722_220614_406.jpg

IMG_20130722_220631_530.jpg

For me anyway, I guess it's probably just being anal. I don't like the idea of having stagnant water near my brew. I realize that copper is probably anti-microbial.

I guess the added benefit is that the chiller weighs less when it's time to put away.

Agreed, seems like attention needs to be focused elsewhere!

Exactly. I always let as much water drain out of the IC when I had one (now use a 30-plate), but since it was going to get boiled 15 min the next use, I never considered it an issue to have a few ounces left in there.

Better to pay much more attention to stuff that has a greater influence on the quality of your brew like pitching plenty of yeast and tightly controlling fermentation temps. ;)

Hey now, it's not a BAD idea to clear the water out of the IC.

Like many others, i keep all my stuff in the garage. One winter it got cold enough inside the garage for the leftover water to freeze and expand to the point of creating splits in the copper.

Not a big deal, just cut off the split parts and solder them together with a copper coupler, right? Well that didn't work either - the ice had expanded the copper before splitting it so that it was too big for 3/8" coupler and too small for 1/2" coupler. So the thing is pretty much junked.

So in conclusion - if you're going to keep an IC somewhere where it gets below freezing - probably a good idea to blast out all the water.

I agree that a IC chiller probably doesn't need to get bone dry, but there are lots of other similar pieces of equipment that you *should* keep try, and the same techniques apply:

- Counterflow chillers
- Plate chillers
- Jockey box coils
- Water hoses

An air compressor and a lot of air? I have a copper one and I don't bother to make sure ALL the water is out. I just turn it upside down then blow into the tubing until most of the water is out then I put it on my shelf.

Same here. I just blow it out with the compressor until it's just spitting.

Thanks everyone for your answers, my goal was to be sure not to have stagnant water near my brew in my appartment that i share with my girlfriend. She's a bit odor freak :)

Thanks everyone for your answers, my goal was to be sure not to have stagnant water near my brew in my appartment that i share with my girlfriend. She's a bit odor freak :)

Well when the beer starts fermenting real good she is gonna really hate you! Most of us really like the smell but others, not so much.....

Ohh and I use an air compressor and just blow it out till its spitting and call it good.

Cheers
Jay

if you do not have air at your apartment you can put water in your boil pot and put in the chiller, boil the water and evaporate the water in the chiller. You don't need a full five gallon boil just enough to cover the coiled part. then the hot water is used to clean all you other equipment including the pot.

I try to get most of the water out of my coil because I have quick disconnects on the ends. When I put it into the boil, I don't have the hoses connected. I've melted too many hoses and decided to go the disconnect route. My concern is the residual water in the coil eventually boils, turns to steam and the whole thing becomes one big boiling water cannon.

The air compressor route makes the most sense but I just invert to drain and then use lung power to make sure I got it all out. A few drops left in won't hurt.

Latest posts

Back