How to bottle hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeICR

Reaction score
Two friends are getting married in Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario during the first weekend of Oktoberfest. I've promised a couple brews. I have a Festbock lagering now and I plan to force-carb and bottle it from the keg.

The mystery is the weizen. I'm about to brew a hefeweizen and I really want to bottle condition it the old fashioned way. I know how to prime with corn sugar but that's not what I want to do. What's the best way to bottle condition a hefe? Do I add yeast? Do I reserve some wort? Some combination?

The recipe:

5.5 gallons
OG 1.050
FG 1.012
ABV 4.98%
SRM 5.1
IBU 13.4

5lbs Wheat malt 47.62%
4lbs Pilsner 38.10%
1.5lbs Munich 10L 14.29%
0.75oz Hallertauer (60 min)
0.25oz Hallertauer (10 min)

Safbrew WB-06

This brew needs to be ready to drink by October 7th. I'll be brewing it by the 1st of September. Am I too late?

Adding yeast will not do anything here, you need to add fermentables. If you want to do this as purely as possible (not adding corn sugar or dme) then check out krausening: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Krausening.

It's cutting it close, but I think it's reasonable to get a hef done in 5ish weeks. 2-2.5 weeks in the primary then bottle condition the rest of the way.

Back