How to achieve "snap" or "Bite" in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobb25

Reaction score
Our beer tastes change as time goes by. As I sit here in my snowbird roost of south Florida, I have been pondering the recipe's for the up coming brew season, to start around late April when we are back north. Having brewed for about six years, I do five to six batches a year on an all grain setup that has evolved to a Rims mash method. Here is my question. I have noticed lately that I prefer beers with a little snap, or bite to them. Not sour, or bitter, but something like the taste that I get from a Rogue "Dead Guy" ale, or even a Grolsch lager. For some reason my beers are all coming out smooth tasting, even when I try a clone of "Dead Guy". What aspect of my brewing technique could be causing this effect?, and how do I correct it?

Our beer tastes change as time goes by. As I sit here in my snowbird roost of south Florida, I have been pondering the recipe's for the up coming brew season, to start around late April when we are back north. Having brewed for about six years, I do five to six batches a year on an all grain setup that has evolved to a Rims mash method. Here is my question. I have noticed lately that I prefer beers with a little snap, or bite to them. Not sour, or bitter, but something like the taste that I get from a Rogue "Dead Guy" ale, or even a Grolsch lager. For some reason my beers are all coming out smooth tasting, even when I try a clone of "Dead Guy". What aspect of my brewing technique could be causing this effect?, and how do I correct it?
Do you bottle or keg? Taking a guess at it and not really any science behind it, but when I went from bottling to kegging I got what you are describing. I went from smooth (and probably somewhat under carbonated) to getting that bite, that crisp ending.

There are a lot of reasons for this - brewing process, pH, organic acid concentration, ect - but one of the primary characteristics of "snappy" or "crisp" flavor in lagers comes from the presence of S02, or sulfur dioxide. A natural byproduct of fermentation, in large amounts it smells and tastes foul, but in balanced amounts makes beer taste crisp and lager-like. W34/70 yeast is a very popular lager strain that produces more S02 and H2S than many strains and is known for its dry and crisp lager flavor. Good lager brewing process takes advantage of these compounds, without coming across as sulfury.

Not wanting to open a can of worms here (or any can other than a can of beer) and I don't know your exact process but I would go out on a limb and guess that your homebrewed beer is probably on average a little more oxidized than commercial examples?

Without having much info on hand I'd say that the things that comes to mind first to get more snap is pH and DO. Elevated levels of DMS has also on my tongue removed all "snap", but that's something very uncommon for a homebrewer to experience unless he boils the wort in a very poor manner.

i would guess its a drier beer using Pilsner malts ,or the hops adds a character of bittering. or combination of the two,plus yeast choice. Take a Czech Pilsner for example. a Belgian or any typical "summer" beer for that matter...dry and snappy .

Mineral levels may be something to look into. Don't forget about carbonation levels. Duvel is a classic example of a beer that's got a nice bite and it's carbed well above a normal beer.

Thanks for the ideas, it gives me something to think about. I don't think that oxygen is a problem, as I ferment in a Fastferment Conical, with no transfers to secondary. When done I transfer to a keg which has been completely purged with CO2. My boils are a rolling boil in a 15 gal. kettle for usually about 75 min. I plan to start looking into water chemistry this year, and maybe giving W34/70 a try would be a good idea. Our city's water comes from deep wells into the Teays valley aquifer, so maybe minerals are a factor.
Bob

If you can't ferment at traditional lagering temperatures, you could give a warm-fermented lager a try. I've done several (and there's a whole thread dedicated to them over in General Discussion) and after I got the process down I was getting that "bite" in every one. Used both 34/70 and S-23 yeasts, got better results with the S23 fermented around 62-64.

It does sound like water chemistry may be the next step to look at. mineral content and to some extent mash temp can contribute to a dryer finish.

Elevated co2 levels, higher amounts of gypsum ( 200-400ppm sulfate) and, if necessary low mash temperatures or higher attenuating yeasts will give it a snap. If attenuation is already at about 80% or higher, I'll bet the first two points mentioned will give you what your after.

Latest posts

Back