How time affects your brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanInSydney

I don’t know what the f*ck I’m doing...
Reaction score
I recently finished my first batch of Original Bitter and was really happy with how it turned out! I knew bottle conditioning would have an impact, but was pleasantly surprised at how much better it was vs prior going into the bottle.

I keep seeing people on the forums saying the longer you leave your beer the better it will taste. Is anyone able to give some info on why?!

Would be interesting to know how different qualities lend themselves to ageing, e.g what should I expect when aging a highly hopped beer? Or a malty beer, etc?

esters? proteins need time to break down in a low acidic environment......it's an equilbrium reaction, but favors basic conditions to break amides......which is what protein is......but yeast perfer it acidic......

I find stouts and malty beers seem to benefit if you condition them for a few months (if you can stop yourself from drinking them). I don't really brew very hoppy beers, but the ones I have brewed tended to be tastier for me after 4 to 6 weeks in the bottle.

I'm glad you asked that. I've had no idea as a newb for how long to leave things for.

i certainly depends as there are a lot of variables there. personally most beers are best about week 2 to 4 imo, and i keg and force carbonate. if you are brewing a beer with a lot of hops, dry hops especially, need time to condition and will improve greatly in 2 weeks. yes stouts and darker beers will get better and better and better as you leave them. you will find it interesting to try a beer from one week to the next and taste how much it changes especially in the first month. typically after about 4 weeks it will maintain the same flavor until it starts to head the other direction where you may loose some freshness. again all dependent on beer style.

Latest posts

Back