How thick to mash this grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyjumpup

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm trying to do something like a dry, highly hopped, super crisp blond ale (think- if an IPA and a Pilsner had a baby). It's going to be a pretty small batch and I'm trying to figure out just how thin I can mash it without ending up with blond water. Here's my grain bill:
1.5 lb Brewer's two-row
1 lb Bohemian pilsner
1 lb German pilsner
12 oz Rye malt
4 oz acid malt

So that's 5.5 lbs grain- can I do a full volume mash with 4 gallons of water and let it boil down to around 2 gallons of final wort?

Many thanks!

Oh and here's the hop list: 1 oz Citra, 1 oz Cascade, .5 oz Simcoe
Any suggestions for what to add when?

Cheers!

Am I missing something?? I only see 4.5 lbs there. Are you doing a BIAB style or do you plan to sparge the grains? I don't see a reason you can't mash full volume if you are BIAB just make sure you account for boiloff and grain absorbtion.

My mistake, yes 4.5 lb naturally.
No, not BIAB, just the traditional way. I intended to sparge, yes.

Then I am missing the question, are you planning on boiling down to the point that you have to top it off after the boil? So far as I can tell you plan on brewing like you normally would but just a smaller batch. Sounds like you just need to scale things down and brew like normal.

It is supposed to be a 3 gallon batch. I'm pretty new to this and still figuring out how to adjust for desired yield and body. It seems like I loose about 1-1.5 gallons in boil and in retention in the grain and hops (whole cone).

I want it to be very light in mouth feel, but not flavorless.

Sounds like you could really benefit from downloading beersmith, it has a free trial so use it. It will help with measurements of strike water and many other things with recipe building.

Mash at a low temp for light mouth feel, maybe 148-152. +1 for suggesting beersmith it will make your brew days much easier. Also, I do 1.66 qt per lb of grain. Once you get everything dialed in you will figure out what your set up dictates or what you feel comfortable with.

Latest posts

Back