How should I use an extra Sanke keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Make new keg into inverted Boil Kettle it Mash Tun?

• Replace Boil Kettle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NewBrewB

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I built Kals ElectricBrewery about 9 years ago with converted kegs for the HLT and BK and my main regret is not inverting my boil kettle. I went with a large plastic food safe drum as a mash tun but it’s WAY too big. Have an extra keg so now I’m trying to decide if I should turn it into an inverted keg mash tun with a stainless false bottom or replace my boil kettle with a bottom drain.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
I haven't done any bottom drain stuff (yet), but I would think that a with a bottom drain kettle, you would get all the trub, eliminating any advantages of whirl-pooling(not for hops, but for break material).

I haven't done any bottom drain stuff (yet), but I would think that a with a bottom drain kettle, you would get all the trub, eliminating any advantages of whirl-pooling(not for hops, but for break material).

True, but he wants to replace the Blue drum with a bottom drain for his MLT... in this case, an inverted keg is awesome, because there is no deadspace, and you can collect the entire volume of wort that you've created.

I say go for it @NewBrewB

Is there such a thing as too big a mash tun? I use a keggle system for 12 gallon batches and wish my mash tun was larger to support 50lb+ grain bills for doing 1.090+ beers.

It sounds like you want to, just do it and see how you like it. It's a spare keg anyways. 🍻

Back