How portable is a typical kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Like so many others, I hate bottling. Want a kegerator, but wife says no dice to leaving it in the kitchen or any other "public" spot in the house. Thinking of having it in my office/study. How practical would it be to put it on wheels and bring it out for parties and other get-togethers? (Ideally would be three taps)

I'm in the same boat -- wife said the kegerator had to be in the garage or basement. I tried putting some throw pillows and doilies on it and telling her it was a love seat but she didn't fall for it.

My 2-tapper has wheels and is easy to move around. The problem is the stairs. The first few parties I would lug it up the stairs. I got tired of that so now I just have everyone go down to the basement to pour a beer.

So if there are no stairs involved, rolling it from the study to the kitchen should work fine (if you don't want everyone going into the study).

A regular kegerator would wheel around real easy.

I like the idea of the study. You can tell her you don't want to be bothered while working and drink beer in piece all night :D

I'm in the same boat -- wife said the kegerator had to be in the garage or basement. I tried putting some throw pillows and doilies on it and telling her it was a love seat but she didn't fall for it.

My 2-tapper has wheels and is easy to move around. The problem is the stairs. The first few parties I would lug it up the stairs. I got tired of that so now I just have everyone go down to the basement to pour a beer.

So if there are no stairs involved, rolling it from the study to the kitchen should work fine (if you don't want everyone going into the study).

Did it come with wheels, or did you add them? What size wheels?

It all depends on the kegerator. Mine is an average sized refrigerator with a freezer on top. 3 taps, 3 kegs, co2 tank and regulator. Misc stuff in the refrigerator, hops, yeast and ice in the freezer = not portable.

Small commercial ones might have 3 kegs and be portable, most would hold 2 kegs.

A 5 cubic foot chest freezer would be somewhat portable, a 14 cubic foot one with 8 or so kegs, probably not.

Well, I divorced the wife. So now it's in the kitchen :D

Back when I was married, I had a 6-keg keezer in the garage. I put it up on a 2x4 frame with large casters which I would roll out of the garage and into the backyard for parties--here in SoCal having the parties outdoors was easier than indoors. It rolled pretty well, even when full.

Right now (the keezer died right about the time of the divorce), I replaced it with an upright single-door convertible fridge/freezer that was bought brand new and thus a lot more presentable. That's right in the kitchen right now, but I would *not* want to move it. Very heavy.

I wouldn't even bother moving it out for parties. Get a few pitchers, fill them up, bring them downstairs and your friends can serve themselves. All of my friends suck at pouring beer from the tap anyway! If you're going to a party fill up a few growlers and you're good to go.

I wouldn't even bother moving it out for parties. Get a few pitchers, fill them up, bring them downstairs and your friends can serve themselves. All of my friends suck at pouring beer from the tap anyway! If you're going to a party fill up a few growlers and you're good to go.

+1 pitchers are key and very easy. Plus you'll burn off some of that beer scampering up and down the steps all night...

Are you kidding me? A kegerator looks great. Two tap handles on a fridge is no worse than a fridge with water & ice. Better. Mine just happens to be in the basement because that's my brew space. I could wheel it around quite easily.

Maybe buy locks for the taps? Your wife better get on board. Otherwise put it in the office and just bring out growlers for parties. No point in lugging it out to a "public" space.

Right now (the keezer died right about the time of the divorce),

Condolences for one of your losses. :mug:

Regarding kegerator on wheels, you're probably going to stir up the trub in the bottom of the kegs when you shift it.

OP, check out some of the tidier builds here, hiding amongst the frat house kegerators you can find some stealth under counter builds, see what SWMBO thinks of them.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29053

Personally, mine lives in the laundry/skullery, just off the kitchen. Guess where people end up at parties?

Actually, it's a one-story house.

Condolences for one of your losses. :mug:

Regarding kegerator on wheels, you're probably going to stir up the trub in the bottom of the kegs when you shift it.

OP, check out some of the tidier builds here, hiding amongst the frat house kegerators you can find some stealth under counter builds, see what SWMBO thinks of them.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29053

Personally, mine lives in the laundry/skullery, just off the kitchen. Guess where people end up at parties?

Was thinking along those lines. In particular, something like THIS. Though I may get the fridge and assemble the tower, faucets, lines etc myself...depends on the quality of what's included.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back