How old were you when you started to homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a few lame attempts at ages 19 and 20, then read up on it and decided to wait until I had some form of income. I'd say I really started seriously at age 22.

31, brewed for about 7 years took 9 or 10 off and started again. I'm 49 now....

SWMBO got me the starter kit for my 24th b-day this past April, and I was reading up on it a few months before then, like a lot of people on here I wouldn't have been able to in college anyway (no real income).

25.... and hopefully one day i'll say i've been brewing for 25 years.

I can't wait to do things like make special beers for my kids' 21st b-day dinner, and their weddings, etc.

I don't really remember exactly when. I must have been around 40. I dabbled in it- had a Beer Machine 2000- but never really did anything seriously until I broke my leg and needed a hobby. I was in a wheelchair off and on for 18 months, so I needed something to do that didn't involve running around. I was making wine, and it took a long time, so I made beer to pass the time!

It turns out that my beer is pretty good.

Started making crappy Welches wine when I was 19. Gave it up when everyone said my stuff was godawful. Read up and started brewing beer when I was 26. I've been brewing for about 2 years now.

19 or 20. Dont specifically remember. I lurked around here until I was 21 so I wouldn't get booted. I'm 23 now, so I guess I've been at it for about 4 years.

As I said before, I was 50 when I started. I was 10 or under though when I watched my dad trying to brew in the 60's.

Thank the pink unicorn for the internet! Without it, most of us would be stewing old socks with a 60 minute doggy poo addition like my old man! :D

try starting at 70 (just started). I really have to get a two tier system going, Lifting all that hot stuff is almost beyond my capabilities. :D

try starting at 70 (just started). I really have to get a two tier system going, Lifting all that hot stuff is almost beyond my capabilities. :D

Hear that sound? It is a very feint sound, especially with your great-grandad hearing. ;)

Anyway, it was the sound of my hat being tipped in your honour. :)

started about 6 months ago & i am 26.
I really am shocked on how many 20's there is.. Figured since everyone i know around my age thinks coors is high quality beer.... I was a little young for brewing quality beer.

Is it bad when your freinds ask...DUDE!!! Can you brew a keystone ice?

Got intersted in homebrewing by accident.
New brewery opened in town, went down and had a beer and got to talking... Next thing i know i am brewin beer :)

tried twice when i was 23 gave up till 39, now I've done 17 5gallon all grains batches in a year and a half. Im hooked

My first beer was when I was 22 I guess (had to do the calculations to figure it out for sure), and I did it a few times since then, really getting interested again when I found this site and it's going great!

However, once I put some cider in a tupperware glass with a plastic lid and put it on the canning shelves in the basement. 3 nights later, after I had forgot about it, My dad and I were watching the tigers on TV and we heard a loud POP! He looks at me and I say, "Well, I guess my cider it ready!" He just smiled and shook his head. We had no alcohol in the house, being Baptist and all, but he was the one who was leaving the jugs of cider on the porch to get "Fizzy".

That was some good cider.

For beer started at 25 and am still 25. For wine, well I helped out a quite a bit back when I was 10 making it in a crockpot.

I started when I got a kit for my 34th birthday last year. I will hit one year of brewing in three weeks and now have 19 batches under my belt.

Latest posts

Back