How old were you when you started to homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, explosion.

Carboy was in the kitchen sink with a big blow-off tube going to the other side of the sink. In the middle of the night there was a very, very loud BOOOM! The huge blow-off tube we had stuck on there had managed to get clogged, and the carboy had exploded and sent glass shrapnel in every direction, taking out some light fixtures, and covering every surface that had a view of the carboy in beer. We even found glass stuck into the ceiling of the adjoining dining room.

It is for this reason that I a) don't use glass carboys and b) don't trust blow-off tubes.

I started when I was 22.

I'll relate this little story from my father though.

When he was about 14 he and a friend decided to make beer. They lived in a little one horse town in southern Indiana. So they stole an old wine crock from my grandpa and stole a can of malt and some bread yeast from the hardware/grocery store. They went to the basement of the church and filled the crock up with water and dumped the malt and yeast in and covered it with a rag and set it in the corner.
About three days later they found some beer bottles in the trash can from the dance that they had the previous night at the church hall. They poured the beer in the bottles and capped them with a bench capper and some stolen caps from my grandpa. Within less than 4 days the bottles were exploding in the basement of the church.
So then they got a concrete block, some welding gloves, and a trashcan lid as a sheild. They put the bottles in the block and tried to uncap them. He said the foam shot to the ceiling but they each got a good swig by the time it settled down. He said it tasted like ass. There were cigarette butts in all of the bottles from the dance.... :D

I love that story. He said it took him about 5 years before he brewed again.

:mug:

I was 24 when I started; I'm 46 now. Heck, that means in 2 years I'll have been brewing for half my life! I better start planning a special beer for that soon.

i started about 6 months before my 21st b-day, i remember becase 2 of my buddys bought me a homebrewing book for my birthday, what a hint :D

I started a few months ago. I am 25. Early 20's seems to be a pretty common age. It just wan't economically possible to get into this hobby in college........ That would have required having a job and money to spend.

Wow, Lots of young men here. Apparently I'm late to the party (again). I started brewing at 54 and have been brewing for just 20 months now... and loving it.

I started brewing in 1998 at the ripe age of 34, so let's see I have been brewing for less than 2 years.

I had to take some time off, I didn't brew for about 9 years. I just started brewing again.

I consider last year when I actually started homebrewing. But I played around off and on with it all my life. I used to bring homebrew books to high school to read in class when I got bored.

Back