how old is too old

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
I have a smack pack of 1056 that's been in my fridge since the end of July 2013.... was going to do a pale ale today and use that smack pack , but I'm wondering if that's waaaaaaay past the experiation date or will a couple day starter rouse it up

You should be able to use it if you do a starter. It might take some time to take off though.

kewl beans... that I don't mind... just didn't wanna waste a smack pack if I didn't have to. worst case scenario is I toss in a pack of s-05 I guess

I would make a starter for it for sure, but you should be good.

I always use a starter for liquid yeast. just did a 1 qt liquid starter for this sucker 5 minutes ago. I'll let it go 48 hours instead of my normal 24 to make sure it gets good and roused up... I'm only only making a simple pale ale so it shouldn't bee too stressed.

I had a chronic pain condition that made drinking impossible for the last 6 months (yeast and irritated prostate = pure torture) so I've had to put my brewing fun on hold :(... now it's time to come out and get the bubblies going again

whelp, thanks for the help guys. I did a 2 day long starter and poured in the bucket about 6 1/2 hours ago and I'm just starting to get bubbles.. looks like it wasn't as dead as I worried about

Latest posts

Back