How often do you replace your bottle brush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't used mine in a long time. Granted I don't bottle that often these days, but I agree with Hello. Bottles get rinsed right after I pour, then sanitized right before I fill. That's all there is to it.

I'm with the rest of the crowd. Rinse a few times and stick on a (hopefully clean) bottle tree. Sanitize with a vinator before bottling. I don't bottle often though, just when I'm taking a few beers somewhere.

Actually, I think I use bottle brush to clean some pipes in the brewery now.

I have been scrubbing all my bottles even though they get rinsed right after pouring and dunked in PBW for a day. I do have some bottles that get returned to me disco style that need scrubbed.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ive never used mine. I rinse right after using, then soak them all in oxiclean when the bottle tree fills up. Then I check to make sure they dont have mold before using them, rinse with water, sanitize twice and bottle with them. Never had an issue.

Mine is still going strong, mainly because I've never used it. :D

After I finish or pour a beer I give the bottle a quick rinse and set it aside. Once I get 6-9 empties I put them overnight in a small painters bucket I bought from Home Depot that I keep filled with oxyclean. This cleans them up great and if they have any labels on them the labels float off (although this does tend to gunk up the oxyclean soak). The next day I take them out and stick them in a box or on my bottle tree. A quick blast with star san from my vinator on bottling day and I'm good to go again.

I've gotten some bottles from friends that were seriously nasty, those I just recycle. Not worth the effort of scrubbing, cleaning and rinsing IMO.

**after typing this up and reading it, my process really seems more complicated than it is. In all seriousness my process is Rinse, Throw in bucket, Take out of bucket, sanitize on bottle day.

Mine is in great a shape after 6 years, however, I rarely use it anymore. I find a hot oxy soak, maybe a little shake, will take care of pretty much anything. Brush only comes out for really stubborn nasties.

Also... 63belair... excellent avatar. TUUUUKKA!!! ;)

Mine is pretty mangled except for about 1/3rd of it. I keep an eye on where the good part is and make sure it is pointed towards the bottle wall when I clean.

I use mine all the time. But is two feet long and the brush is 4" in diameter.
I use it to clean the crap out of my carboy. ;)

Is oxyclean better for this than PBW?

You're going to get different opinions on this, but here is my take. They both accomplish the same goal (cleaning, not sanitizing), but at very different price points. (Oxyclean being cheaper than PBW, especially if you buy the walmart store brand)

If you go the Oxyclean route, make sure you get the Oxyclean Free version. (no dies or fragrances)

FWIW I currently use Onestep to clean (because I have a big tub of it) and Starsan to sanitize. When I run out of Onestep I'll probably switch over to Oxyclean Free.

Here is a thread that explains the differences more in depth.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/what-sanitisers-cleaners-used-43688/

My bottle brush still looks like new,& I use it all the time since I started using glass bottles as of my 2nd batch. I have to straighten the wire handle a bit here & there,but the brush is like new. I keep it cleaned & rinsed. I use it everytime I rinse my bottles out. rinse out the yeast,etc. Then fill to the shoulder with water. Go back & scrub/rinse each one,then onto the bottle tree to dry before storage.

Yowza, "63belair".........That thread is 37 pages!

On the "Oxyclean" deal, I found a "Dollar General" brand, and I e-mailed them before opening it, asking a bunch of questions about the product, mainly "is it the same stuff" and "is it scented".

Their answers : "Yes" and "No"..............@ 4 bucks for a nice size tub of it, I've been using it as a cleaner with great results, with HOT water, mind you!

Good stuff!

My bottle brush still looks like new,& I use it all the time since I started using glass bottles as of my 2nd batch. I have to straighten the wire handle a bit here & there,but the brush is like new. I keep it cleaned & rinsed. I use it everytime I rinse my bottles out. rinse out the yeast,etc. Then fill to the shoulder with water. Go back & scrub/rinse each one,then onto the bottle tree to dry before storage.

How can it possibly look new if you use it all the time

I have a bottle brush, but I can't say that's it's ever gotten much use. Even back when I bottled I rarely ever used it. A good rinse usually does the trick. If I run into a bottle that got missed I just chuck it. So to answer your question, never.

Latest posts

Back