how much?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumptrucksally

Reaction score
I brew in a 3 gallon pot.. I brew for a total of 5 gallons.. Is it okay to brew 3 gallons adding all my malt and grains and hops.. Then after my boil adding that directly into 2 gallons of water already in my carboy??

I'm trying to see if that anything to do with my first batch going wrong!!

thanks

Here is a quote from John Palmers "How to Brew"

"A rule of thumb is one pound of liquid extract per gallon of water for a light bodied beer. One and a half pounds per gallon produces a richer, full bodied beer. A pound of LME typically yields a gravity of 1.034 - 38, as measured by a hydrometer, when dissolved in one gallon of water. DME yields about 1.040 - 43. These yield values are referred to as Points per Pound per Gallon. If someone tells you that a certain extract or malt's yield is 36 points, it means that when 1 pound is dissolved into 1 gallon of water, the gravity is 1.036. If that 1 pound is dissolved into 3 gallons, its gravity would be 36/3 = 12 or 1.012. The gravity is how the strength of a beer is described. Most commercial beers have an Original Gravity (OG) of 1.035 - 1.050."

So first off, you should make sure you are using the proper volume of water based on your ingredients. Secondly, its perfectly fine to add the water directly to the carboy as long as you keep everything sanitary. I would suggest boiling the water ahead of time and sealing it properly so that it doesn't become contaminated. Once you have poured your wort into the carboy it should be around 70F which the right temperature for a bacteria breeding ground.

So i steeped 1 pound of maris otter then added that to about 3 1/2 gallons of water and boiled 7 lbs of dry light malt...

Do you think it will turn out bad?? That is way over the ratio of DME to Water....

The figures that Jared311 quoted from Palmer deal with the amount of ME relative to overall batch size, and have little to do with the amount you're boiling vs. the amount you're using for top-up. Nearly all extract brewers boil a small volume, then dilute to the full batch volume in the fermenter as you mentioned.

How did you do this:
dumptrucksally said:
So i steeped 1 pound of maris otter then added that to about 3 1/2 gallons of water and boiled 7 lbs of dry light malt...

with this?
dumptrucksally said:
I brew in a 3 gallon pot..

Anyway, there's nothing inherently wrong with what you did...steeping just Maris Otter is a bit strange, as it's a base malt not normally used as the only steeping grain. Looks like your OG should be around 1.070 -- well within "normal" beer range, but it's hard to say whether your beer will be "good" without more info. Did you follow a recipe, or use a kit? What hops did you add, and when?

1. Read up on Late Addition.

2. If I understood you correctly you want to pour hot wort into your carboy...if you do it will be the last time...it'll shatter. It can't take the heat. You have to cool your wort first. Let's keep your brewing blood free.;)

Basically i'm just trying to figure out if i'm using too much malt for my overall recipe.. Is 7 pounds too much DME for a 5 gallon batch..

and for the rest of the recipe..

2oz Columbus Hops at 60-30 min
1oz Tettnanger at 25min
1oz Fuggle at 10 min
(All pellet hops)

1056 Wyeast smack pack ....
Fermentation started in 5-6 hours

dumptrucksally said:
Basically i'm just trying to figure out if i'm using too much malt for my overall recipe.. Is 7 pounds too much DME for a 5 gallon batch..

and for the rest of the recipe..

2oz Columbus Hops at 60-30 min
1oz Tettnanger at 25min
1oz Fuggle at 10 min
(All pellet hops)

1056 Wyeast smack pack ....
Fermentation started in 5-6 hours
7 lbs is not too much for a 5 gal batch, but the real question is are you using enough bittering hops to offset the sweetness of 7 lbs of malt?

When you add too much malt to a wort it is concentrated and your hop bitterness extraction is reduced.

I am new so im learning with every batch i go..

I hope with 2oz of the Columbus @ 12.5aau will offset the 7 lbs of malt...

Well, I would say it will be pretty high n IBU side of things. As for me. I am still a extract brewer till I can get a mash ton together. My usual recipes include some form of 6lb LME 1 Lb of some steeping grain usually crystal and maybe 1/2 to 1/4 lb of some other type of grain. I brew it all in a 3gal pot and cold break it add it to the fermenter and add Bottled spring water right on top. Never had a problem and my OG falls typically between 1.044-1.060 depending on things like sugar type kickers. Well I do not think you will have a problem doing what your doing. :ban:

Latest posts

Back