how much yeast is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jangelj

Reaction score
I got a smack pack of pacman a couple of months ago. Made a 2L starter from it, saved about 25% from that starter and used the other 75% for a batch.

Flash Forward to this week. I took that 25% and made a 1L starter. Put it on the stirplate for 24 hours and now it's been in the fridge for over 1 day. Here is a pic. How much yeast does that look like to you? I'll likely find some way to measure it after I decant the starter when I brew tomorrow, just thought I'd get some opinions.

I'm only going to make a ~1.050 pale ale, so hopefully this is enough yeast.
What do your starters look before decanting?
john
pacman.jpg

I would say around 75ml.

Go to Wal-Mart and look in the kitchen utensil section. Some of them carry a 5oz glass measuring cup that is essentially a graduated beaker. That's what I use for measuring yeast. They're something like $1.50.

5ozMeasureGlass_Main.jpg

well, i failed to measure the yeast today before pitching. You try watching 5 year ol twin boys while brewing and see how many things YOU forget :)
Apparently it was enough yeast.
Anyway, the good news is 5 hours after pitching, I have this:

yum.jpg

Good to see that - since I was going to write how much? "plenty"!

Love the blow off cup. Twin 5 year olds and brewing is an incompatible event in my book, wouldn't even attempt it.

I know what you mean. I have twin 5 year old girls and had to watch them last brew day. Luckily they had some other kids to play with so they were kept occupied. It does tend to be a challenge though.

Back