How much wort do you typically expect after your boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegocal

Reaction score
Today I tried extract brewing for the first time and it was remarkably easy. But once I had finished the boil I noticed there was a fairly small amount of wort left due to the evaporation of the water during the boil. I had started out with ~2 gallons (I didn't measure precisely, I just gave it about 8/10 of a 10L jug.) and once I had finished I had what looked to be about 1 gallon. I was quite surprised by that result. I did not expect to lose that much water.

Now, I was aiming for a gravity of 1.045 and I got 1.044 so I am not worried about it at all. It also tasted like the richest wort I have ever gotten (though, I typically buy hopped LME cans or bags of completed wort) so I think it will turn out well.

Really though I just wanted to see a discussion about wort yields and how, if at all that changes the final produce.

Cheers.

It depends on your setup and weather. A wider pot and lower humidity will increase boil off. A narrow pot, high humidity, and keeping the lid on will reduce boil off. If you boil off too much and overshoot your gravity you can add sanitary water back in to hit your marks.

Back