How much water to mix with DME for carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBoy19

Reaction score
I am ready to carb and bottle my beer. I have saved 1 cup of the DME for carbing. How much water do I need to boil it with before putting in the bottling bucket? The recipe just said add 1 cup DME no specifics on how much water. I'm guessing its not too important, I just don't wanna water it down too much or not have it work because I used too little. Also how long should I boil it for? 60 minutes like a normal brew or just 15 to 30?

Before I get the don't waste DME for carbing response; I already am aware of that opinion. I just happen to have only 1 cup of DME left (which is what the recipe calls for) and I don't plan on using this malt in the near future. Thus I want to use it not corn sugar or anything else. That being said, please help. I want to bottle tonight. Thanks.

I am ready to carb and bottle my beer. I have saved 1 cup of the DME for carbing. How much water do I need to boil it with before putting in the bottling bucket? The recipe just said add 1 cup DME no specifics on how much water. I'm guessing its not too important, I just don't wanna water it down too much or not have it work because I used too little. Also how long should I boil it for? 60 minutes like a normal brew or just 15 to 30?

Before I get the don't waste DME for carbing response; I already am aware of that opinion. I just happen to have only 1 cup of DME left (which is what the recipe calls for) and I don't plan on using this malt in the near future. Thus I want to use it not corn sugar or anything else. That being said, please help. I want to bottle tonight. Thanks.

1 cup of DME isn't very much- you're going to have a pretty low carbed beer. I use 1.5 cups DME when I bottle a 5 gallon batch. You can boil it up in two cups of water for about 10 minutes or so.

1 1/2-2 cups water. ive read you can add dme between flameout and up to 15 min.to boiled water. I would just stir and boil ten min. cool it covered with a sanitized lid. I just start the boil with the lid on should sanitize a clean lid. take it off and add dme and keep stirring it.
i dont know what some say 10 min plus. I have a hard time believing bacteria is going to live through more than a miniute of boil really.

I usually pulled about half liter (18oz?) of beer and dissolved sugar/dme in it, boiled and poured straight back into bottling bucket, siphoned beer on top of it.

Back