How much water for yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joon1975

Reaction score
I’m making yeast starter the the porter I’m going to brew on Sunday. Just realized I only have 5.7 oz of DME. Can I still make a starter with this amount of DME? How much water would I need?

Enough to make the gravity of the starter wort around 1.025. Do you have a refractometer?

The calculator on BrewersFriend says that you could use 0.6 gallons of water, but I don't know how accurate it is with such low amounts.

By the way, you can edit your posts after you submit them. Along the bottom left (if you aren't on mobile, not sure how mobile messes with it) of your post/comment you should see a button that says "Edit".

Use this yeast calculator and set the starter gravity to [edit] 1.037.

See how much wort/water you need for that. After stirring for nearly 2 days pitch the whole starter, without cold crashing.

BTW, how old is that yeast you're using?

OK, here are the calcs:
5.7 oz of DME = 161 grams

161 grams in 1.6 liter will make a 1.037 wort. Perfect starter!
I usually make them exactly like that.

Last edited:
Mfg 3/19/18

Wow, that's as fresh as can be! You're in good shape.
Are you using a stir plate or intermittent manual swirl/shake?
What size is your starter container?

There is an alternative method... Yeast starters, "shaken not stirred."

A "normal" starter has an OG of about 1.040, which is about 100 g of DME per 1 liter of water, or about 1/4 lb per quart of water. 5.7 oz is about 0.356 lb. So we can calculate:
Water = 0.356 / 0.25 = 1.4 qts.​
So, just use 1.5 qts (3 pints) of water, and you should be close enough.

Brew on :mug:

I do have a stir plate and my flask is 2L

You can stir it starting now, let it go for 24 hours, then cold crash in fridge until you're ready to pitch on Sunday.
Before you pitch, pour off (decant) most the starter beer on top, swirl up into a slurry and let come to within 10 degrees F of pitching temps. Swirling in a small lukewarm water bath speeds this up, takes 5-10 minutes.

Then either pitch the whole slurry OR pitch around 2/3 of it, 200 billion cells is enough for 5 gallons at 1.055, and keep the rest (in a small mason jar in the fridge) to make a starter from for a next batch. Needless to say, keep good sanitation practices.

Last edited:
One more question! It looks like I might not be able to brew tomorrow. Can I leave the starter in the fridge until next weekend? Thanks!

One more question! It looks like I might not be able to brew tomorrow. Can I leave the starter in the fridge until next weekend? Thanks!

Absolutely!

When you see the yeast floccing out, the starter is done. 24 hours should be enough time since it's fresh yeast. Then crimp the foil tight, [edit] cover with some sanitized plastic wrap, and put the flask in the fridge. The longer it's in the fridge, the more completely it will crash out, leaving clear starter beer on top of a nice white layer of yeast slurry. 24 hours crashing is the minimum, 2-4 days is average. But you could leave it in the fridge like that for several months. Some yeasts will crash much quicker than others.

Consider ranching some yeast (~50-100 billion cells) from your starter, so you keep some in reserve to make a starter from next time, and next, and next...

Last edited:
Thank you!!!

YVW!

I added a little [edit] to my previous post.
Aluminum foil exposed to Starsan develops pinholes within a few hours. So cover the foil with a layer of (sanitized) plastic wrap before putting it in the fridge to keep potential bugs out. I actually cover the aluminum foil with plastic wrap from the beginning.

On a side note, as @doug293cz mentioned, starters are typically 1 part DME : 10 parts water (by weight). That gets you starter wort of around 1.040.
So use 1/10 of DME (in grams) of your intended starter volume (in ml), e.g., 160 gr DME for 1600 ml starter.

I just prefer 1.037. Using the aforementioned calculator, it's all very simple.

Hi there. I've come out of my brewing retirement and my old notes are hard to read. I'm making a starter for the first time in a while, just so I'm clear on my ratio - is it 1 gram light DME to 10mL water (or is it 100mL)?

Hi there. I've come out of my brewing retirement and my old notes are hard to read. I'm making a starter for the first time in a while, just so I'm clear on my ratio - is it 1 gram light DME to 10mL water (or is it 100mL)?
It's DME : Water = 1:10 (by weight)
So 100 gram DME per liter of water.

Back