How much water for a yeast starter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to create my first yeast starter and I am curious of the water to dried malt extract ratio??

My mason jar only holds two cups. So how much DME cam I use for two cups of water.

A cup of DME weighs approximately 4 oz. Therefore, the ratio is 1 cup DME to 1 quart water.

Wyeastlab.com said:
Starter Recipe:
The optimal media for cell growth and health require using a malt based media (DME) fortified with nutrients. Gravity should be kept near 1.040 and cultures should be grown at 70°F.

Recipe
1 cup DME (100g, 3.5oz)
½ tsp Wyeast Nutrient
1qt.(1L) H2O
Mix DME, nutrient, and water.
Boil 20 minutes to sterilize.
Pour into a sanitized flask or jar with loose lid or foil.
Allow to cool to 70°F.
Shake well and add yeast culture.

How much water are you able to use again? I thought it was only 3 cups?

And keep in mind you need to leave some head space in the jar, so you can't fill it right to the brim. So if you're using about 2 cups of water I'd cut the DME amount in half.

It's better to measure by weight if you can, but the volume measurements will get you pretty close for the purpose of a starter anyway.

ok so if filled to the brim the mason jar is 4 cups of water.... if filled 3/4 of the way its 3 and a half cups...

I put half a cup of dme for 3 cups of water. I know its a little off...

You are fine. A little light, but still in the range. Personally I would go 3/4 cup dme to 3 cups water.

It should be fine as long as you're close, but I just went and weighed a cup of DME. This is a perfect illustration as to why it's important to get measurements by weight if you can. If you search the forums you'll see people mention a cup of DME weighs anywhere from 3-6 ounces, and all of those answers can be right, but there's no way in knowing exactly what you're specific DME will weigh without a measurement so your cup may be 25% or more off in either direction.

4925134616_f8b1faa967_z.jpg

So in my case, a cup of DME is a little over 5 ounces.

Just to thow it out there.... When I make wort for starters, I make a large batch (apprx. 4 quarts) at a time and seal the wort in mason jars. This way, when I am ready to make a starter after work, I simply open the jar and yeast - add to the flask and on to the stir plate and done. It simply saves the time waiting for the wort to cool. Hope it helps. I shoot for a SG of 1.040 if that helps.

Back