How much two-row to convert rye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teacher

Reaction score
I've been using flaked rye in a couple of beers, and I usually mash with a half-pound of two-row per pound of flaked rye (measured before cooking). Based on my hydrometer measurements, this seems to work well. I use American two-row because available locally and is pretty cheap. If I want six-row, I have to order it.

I now want to make a sort of hybrid rye beer. The plan is to use two pounds of flaked and two pounds of rye malt. I'll mash this (along with a touch of crystal and some amber rye malt I made) and add it to some light LME. Considering American two-row typically has a diastatic power in the 120-135 range, would about 1.5 lbs do?

The plan is to use two pounds of flaked and two pounds of rye malt. I'll mash this (along with a touch of crystal and some amber rye malt I made) and add it to some light LME. Considering American two-row typically has a diastatic power in the 120-135 range, would about 1.5 lbs do?

Maybe my understanding is all wrong, but a diastatic power of 120 means that the grain can convert itself as well as 20% of a pound of something else.

so, to convert 1 lbs of flaked barley, you need 5lbs of 2-row.

am I wrong on what the 120 means?

nevermind... i see that I am wrong.

power of 35 means that it can convert itself.

1.5lbs is probably plenty!

I believe from what I've read that rye can convert itself no problem. Lately, I've been tossing around the idea of doing a rye malt SMaSH with Columbus hops...just have to fit it into the brew schedule

Back