How much to tip on a haircut?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I go to a one man barber shop. Really nice guy, always enjoy the conversation. I give him $20 for a $14 dollar cut. I know that's high but I like the guy and I appreciate the great hair cut. I figure an extra couple bucks lets him know that.

My rule of thumb on how much to tip is -
would I want to do this for a living? Nope. Not dissing anyone's profession, but it's not my cup of tea. Not waiting tables, not cutting hair. I'm a high-tipper. I am thankful they're out there and I don't have to be.

My rule of thumb on how much to tip is -
would I want to do this for a living? Nope. Not dissing anyone's profession, but it's not my cup of tea. Not waiting tables, not cutting hair. I'm a high-tipper. I am thankful they're out there and I don't have to be.

So why not tip the fire fighters, police officers, ER doctors, etc... the ones who really do some hard work?

So why not tip the fire fighters, police officers, ER doctors, etc... the ones who really do some hard work?

That would be considered a bribe and there is a good chance you would be charged with bribery. If they accept they would also be charged with accepting a bribe.

I've yet to understand why everyone is so tip happy when someone is just doing their job!!!???

Do you get a tip every time you do your job?

because the people in these type of jobs tips are part of their compensation. A waiter may make 2.50 a hour in wages and the bulk of his pay is in the form of tips. Most barbers shops the guy/gal doing the cut is only getting a tiny fraction of the money from the haircut. Just the way the way it is .

That would be considered a bribe and there is a good chance you would be charged with bribery. If they accept they would also be charged with accepting a bribe.

You can make a donation without it being a bribe. They have many foundations set up. I'm not saying "here officer, thanks for the ticket... here's a $20.", but you get my point.

Only if you were trying to interfere with the normal course of duty... Send the PBA/firemans association a case of scotch at Christmas done all the time . Funeral homes in the normal course of work will give the police a tip if they helped with loading a body. Now being on a traffic stop and slipping the cop a 50 or giving the fire marshal the same in an inspection thats a bribe .

There is a fine line between accepting gratuities and bribery.Our dept was pretty much don't accept a gratuity individually if they wanted to make one to the PBA that was fine.

You can make a donation without it being a bribe. They have many foundations set up. I'm not saying "here officer, thanks for the ticket... here's a $20.", but you get my point.

That would be true, you could donate to a charity associated with the service provider. But your original comment was about tipping the actual person.

Only if you were trying to interfere with the normal course of duty... Send the PBA/firemans association a case of scotch at Christmas done all the time . Funeral homes in the normal course of work will give the police a tip if they helped with loading a body. Now being on a traffic stop and slipping the cop a 50 or giving the fire marshal the same in an inspection thats a bribe .

There is a fine line between accepting gratuities and bribery.Our dept was pretty much don't accept a gratuity individually if they wanted to make one to the PBA that was fine.

:off: I know we utilize the local police force to help us out with Black Friday and throughout the year with shoplifters in my location. We help them out by getting them good deals and able to hold merchandise in the back for when they are able to come by. Its good business to help out the local public servants; but its not tipping in my opinion but rewarding their job. Just like some companies give military discounts.. (which I think far more should give a discount.. and a higher one too ;) )

I also give my mail lady a Christmas card and gift card every year to show my thanks even though I only use the mail to get bills or to send out NetFlix blu-rays :)

Where I used to go to have my hair cut when I was in my teens, they added a charge onto the price. £5 then the addition charge, so I never actually tipped because I assumed the addition charge was a tip. (never asked)

Tipping in the UK is somewhat of dying breed.
~Joey

I'll usually tip 3 bucks on a haircut. I finally found someone that can do a good fade and not leave a line around my head.

On a side note, i'm getting real sick of everyone expecting tips these days. I'm not going to tip people because they poured me a cup of coffee, or scooped me some Ice Cream. Then some have the nerve to get pissy when I put a 0 in the tip line. It's gotten out of hand IMO.

I don't mind tipping in a Restaurant or for a good haircut as long as things are top notch. But I'm not going to tip just because.

i've not gotten a haircut in years. do it myself, mostly with a razor and daily.

on the other hand, I never feel obligated to tip, and never tip more than what I'm comfortable with. I feel that I tip well when warranted, and if its not warranted, I don't feel guilty about not tipping well.

Depends on who I go to.

If I want a quick and easy cut, I'll go to the barber that I've gone to for years. He's done my grandfather, father, and my brothers also. He charges 10 bucks, I usually give an extra 2 or 3.

If I go to SWMBOs friend, I'll tip 5 or 6. I dont like going there but she pays more attention to detail, so I dont mind shilling out an extra couple bucks.

On a side note, i'm getting real sick of everyone expecting tips these days. I'm not going to tip people because they poured me a cup of coffee, or scooped me some Ice Cream. Then some have the nerve to get pissy when I put a 0 in the tip line. It's gotten out of hand IMO.

My biggest pet peave is the credit card slips at take-out restaurants that have a tip line.

The barber shop I go to has one barber. Sometimes you have to wait awhile to get in the chair, but it is worth it. I can't deal with the supercuts type places or salons. I tip $3 on a $12 haircut.

I also go to a true barber (still has the 70's green chairs and reminds me of the barber in Gran Turino). It's $16 and I usually just give him a $20.

I used to go to el cheapo place and I'd pay $17 for a $14 haircut (always paid by check card so I didn't worry about getting change back).

I my hair is kind of weird and (so I have been told) hard to cut. I usually go to one of the el cheapo places and get my haircut. It can be really hit or miss. I have had some OK cuts and some really terrible cuts (probably should have refused to pay). So I am going to suck it up and go to a nice place to get my hair cut. Not crazy expensive but more than I have paid for a haircut. One thing I am not sure about is the tip....

Flat rate?
Percentage of the cost?
What percent?

What is the standard and what are others doing?

I am kind of cheap, so I tend to under-tip, but I know people are trying to make a living and all.
My hair cut costs me $15, and I give a $4 tip. (I don't have alot of hair and I get it cut every three weeks)

Back