How much time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packy28

Reaction score
Well got my hb kit for christmas. I am getting ready to make my first batch. My wife got me a Specialty Grain kit. My question is how much time do I need to set aside to brew my first batch. I don't want to rush abviously but i would also like to know what i need for time. I'm sure i'll have a few more question before I brew but this is one of them.

I think my first grain kit took around 3 hours. from prepping/sanitizing, brewing, cooling, pitching than clean up I'd guess around 3 hrs - maybe less

I need to get a brew pot. What size is a good size to start out with ? Also what is a secondary and do i need one ?

As for the brew pot, if you plan on doing a full boil (boiling all of the wort at once) you'll want at least a 7-7.5 gallon pot. If you're going to do a partial boil (boiling a smaller volume and topping off at the end) you can use a smaller pot. Just make sure that your pot is bigger than the volume that you plan on boiling.

A secondary is a vessel used to rack your beer into to get it off of the yeast and to clear up. People also use secondaries when they want to add fruit or dry hop their brews. I've used secondaries and I've left my beer in the primary and they've all turned out pretty good. I guess the short answer is, no you do not NEED a secondary. In fact many people on here will tell you to skip it.

I usually plan on 3 hours from getting everything together and sanitizing to pitching yeast and clean up. Plan it out beforehand and take notes. It will be a great experience and you'll get very good beer as a result. Welcome and congrats.

Start early just in case. Between my pot taking a lot longer to boil than I thought, and trying to cool it down I think my first extract batch took me somewhere around 5-6 hours.

As far as a brew pot, bigger is always better. I started with a 5 gallon pot, and it works ok. Something closer to 6 would be better if you can find it.

Secondary is a second carboy where you transfer your beer after fermentation to give it some time to age/clear up a bit. It is a much debated topic, but there are plenty out there that say that a secondary is useless.

Back