How much sugar do u add to prime a 5 gal batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8upbrad

Reaction score
I just bought a bottling bucket and am going to prime my 5 gal batch soon. I know your supposed to boil 2 cups of water, then add sugar, then mix it all together with the beer in the bottling bucket right??. So just wondering how much dextrose sugar to add??

What kind of beer... what kind of sugar? Avg beer with corn sugar would be about 3.75 oz for a 2.4 vol. Ends up being close to 3/4 cup or 2/3 cup of table sugar. Cool the sugar water to room temp prior to adding it to the beer...

You may want to grab the sugar tablets. They're easy to work with. Drop 3-4 in each bottle, fill and cap. I used them and bottled 13 kegged the rest

In general, one ounce of corn sugar per finished gallon of beer is perfect- normally 5 ounces for 5 gallons. Using a little kitchen scale instead of "cups" is preferred and more accurate.

Back