How much smoked malt in this porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsncrabs

Reaction score
Making a smoked porter and using Weyerman Oak Smoked Malt. I am looking for just a hint, not a campfire. What percentage should I aim for?
Here is what I have so far:

7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 65.2 %
1 lbs Brown Malt (Crisp) (65.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.7 %
1 lbs Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (55.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.7 %
1 lbs Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 8.7 %
8.0 oz Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.3 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.3 %
London Ale WLP013

I would go with 1/2 #. But then again I would also cut the crystal in half as well. Gl and please keep us posted on the results.

I'd go for 1.5lb of Brown, 0.5lb Crystal... anywhere from 0.5 to 1lb of Smoked malt would be good.

Thank you. How about this? Will the smoke dissipate over time in the keg or will it hang around?
7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 68.2 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Brown Malt (Crisp) (65.0 SRM) Grain 2 13.6 %
8.0 oz Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.5 %
8.0 oz Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (55.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.5 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.5 %
8.0 oz Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.5 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 18.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 10.9 IBUs
London Ale WLP013

That Weyermann Smoked malt is really mild. I've used it up to 100% in Rauchbiers and they're never overpoweringly smokey. I would start with ~25% and go from there.

Salty,
I see that from your saison recipe in your signature. I will take that into consideration. Never used it before.

JKaranka,
I need to visit you. Your beers sound very tasty and I am interested in the British beers.

Well I ended up using the above recipe with 2lbs smoke malt. Had just the touch of smoke I wanted. Split the batch into 2 and added 5ml of caramel extract to it at kegging. Ended up winning Brewers Choice in a small smoked beer comp at a local brewpub and will get to help them brew it on their system. They want to add some more smoke as the caramel flavor was a tad too much. Stoked to do that! Thanks for the recipe advice !

Yes. I agree that that is what makes the whole beer. Perfect amount. Will be adding to my brown ales as well. Thank you so much for your help. Will post pics when we brew. Prob June til it fits into their schedule.

I like smoked beers. One of mine was what I named Shire Ale. I was looking for something they might serve at the Prancing Pony in Bree.

5.75 lb Maris Otter 62.6%
1.00 lb C-75 10.9%
1.00 lb Oak Smoked Wheat Malt. 10.9%
.75 lb Brown Malt 8.2%
.33 lb Golden Naked Oats 3.6%
.25 lb Chocolate Malt 2.7%
.1 lb Peat Smoked Malt 1.1%

The Oak Smoked Wheat Malt is pretty mild and the Peat is very strong. This one turned out very nice. These days I would increase the Oak Smoked Malt a fair amount and the Peat just a little.

Yes. I agree that that is what makes the whole beer. Perfect amount. Will be adding to my brown ales as well. Thank you so much for your help. Will post pics when we brew. Prob June til it fits into their schedule.

Might be a bit too much for brown ales (in that quantity), but they are the perfect porter malt.

Well I got to brew this last Tuesday! We hit all of the numbers perfectly and the samples were very tasty! See how it ferments out and how the caramel extract addition works!

Grain Bill.jpg

Mashing in.jpg

CKW.jpg

Back