How much should the airlock gurgle???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allang2376

Reaction score
Hello,

New to brewing and did my first batch today. (6hrs ago) The only thing is that the airlock is not bubbling away as much as I though it would be. Maybe once or twice in a 10 minute period.

Can anyone tell me how much it should be bubbling??? Don't think I did any thing wrong and pretty sure I sterilized everything to instruction.

Cheers
Allan

Don't worry. In 12-18 hours it will be going crazy. These things take time.

There is going to be a somewhat large outburst when this post gets noticed, so just be prepared, you'll probably meet a guy named Revvy and a few others, just try to make sure your reasonably intoxicated the next time you log in ok ace? :D

Welcome to the forum! :drunk:

Yea Revvy has a spidey sense for these kinds of things.

My tip? RDWHAHB! Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Home Brew! Failing that, have any beer. The idea is to just reeeeeellaaaaax!!

Welcome!!

Congrats on the first brew!

Two things to keep in mind: 1) It can take 48-72 hours for there to be any bubbling in the airlock and 2) bubbling in the airlock, while it's cool to watch, doesn't mean anything - that is, fermentation may be happening even though there's no bubbling. Anyway, like others said, relax and have a beer!

Thanks for the help.

I was beginning to think I had it all wrong. Impatience was getting the better of me. But, as you said, it's all ticking away nicely now.

Thanks again

Thanks again,
I guess being Irish and loving great beer from a young age made me think it would all just come naturally. j/k. After having a good look around here though I found that I have a lot to learn, i'm looking forward to it.

Also a rookie when it comes to forums so thanks for all the responses and welcoming. Looking forward to getting to know you all better.

Gurgle or bubble..... are you watching it now? How bout now? Most new folks post with "its bubbling 3 times a second!" My air lock blew out! Its been 13.25 hours and no active signs of gurglse yet! And we have some good LOL.Cheers & welcome aboard:D

How many BPM(Bloops Per Minute) are you getting? If it drops below 5 BPM in the first 24 hours its a stalled fermentation and you have to send the beer to my laboratory for complete analysis.

My Christmast, the airlock never started bubbling even after 48 hours. I was worried about it so I took off the bucket lid and found fermentation is going perfectly fine. The next brew I made, I didn't even use an airlock, I just left the bucket lid loose. Now I feel like airlocks are for bulk-aging wine for months or something. I don't think I will use them for beer any more. It's easier to leave the bucket lid loose--less to clean.

How many BPM(Bloops Per Minute) are you getting? If it drops below 5 BPM in the first 24 hours its a stalled fermentation and you have to send the beer to my laboratory for complete analysis.

The wife calls them bucket farts; but i only get the Bloops with a tube. Cheers:ban:

Latest posts

Back