How much rye is too much for a Rye-PA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to make a well hopped beer with a strong spicy rye backbone. I love the flavor of rye in beer, but I don't want to go over board with it. The recipe I put together has around 40 percent Rye. Anybody use this much in a Rye-PA before? Here is the recipe I am going for:

8 pounds american 2 row
4 pounds malted rye
1 pound flaked rye
1.5 pounds dextrose
4 ounces chocolate wheat

1 ounce Magnum hops 55 Min
1 ounce cascade 20 min
1 ounce Simone 15
.5 ounce Zeus 15
1 ounces Simone 5 min
.5 ounces Zeus 5 min

1 ounce Simone and 1 ounce Zeus dry hop

Wyeast 1010
Mash @150 for 1 hour

Thoughts? Should I use rice hulls in this?

Cognitive-Dissonance said:
I want to make a well hopped beer with a strong spicy rye backbone. I love the flavor of rye in beer, but I don't want to go over board with it. The recipe I put together has around 40 percent Rye. Anybody use this much in a Rye-PA before? Here is the recipe I am going for:

8 pounds american 2 row
4 pounds malted rye
1 pound flaked rye
1.5 pounds dextrose
4 ounces chocolate wheat

1 ounce Magnum hops 55 Min
1 ounce cascade 20 min
1 ounce Simone 15
.5 ounce Zeus 15
1 ounces Simone 5 min
.5 ounces Zeus 5 min

1 ounce Simone and 1 ounce Zeus dry hop

Wyeast 1010
Mash @150 for 1 hour

Thoughts? Should I use rice hulls in this?

I just used 1.75 pounds in a rye PA. Just transferred it on to 2oz Amarillo whole leaf last night. Gotta say it tastes great.

I think I have used about 30% with good effects. Rye is gummy so you might wanna throw a pound of rice hulls in there so you don't get a stuck sparge. Besides that looks yummy!

Hopper5000 said:
I think I have used about 30% with good effects. Rye is gummy so you might wanna throw a pound of rice hulls in there so you don't get a stuck sparge. Besides that looks yummy!

Mine accounted for 11%. No stuck sparge or gummy business.

Just transfered a RyePA in to the secondary to dry hop and it tasted wonderful. That was with 1 lb rye malt and 1 lb flaked rye. But if you're confident you will like that much rye, go for it!!

Back