How much rice can I mash with 1.5kg base

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voskar

Reaction score
Planning on doing my first PM.
Question.
How much whole rice could I mash with 1.5 kg base pale malt (2row).
Doing a light lager so would like to add rice as much as possble.

Thanks

Without knowing exactly what pale malt you have I would say you should be quite safe using 50% of the malt's weight in rice or 750g.

It's New Zealand Pale Malt, I assume it's 2 row.

Asking as I've read from differing sources, some say use between 5-10% and others say 20%.

If I mash at the low temp (152F) and longer would the conversion for rice improve or is it the limit of enzymes in the base malt that matters?

This is a partial mash.
1.7 kg of malt extract syrup

1.5 kg base malt for PM
??? kg whole rice
Stovetop PM
5 litres mash water
5 litres sparge water

volume 19 litres (5 gal US)
around 4 to 5 ABV is OK
Will it work?

Why am I wanting to use whole rice in the mash.
Cant get rice syrup here in New Zealand.

Just checking, so if you already know this please ignore, but if you are using raw rice it needs to be cooked before mashing. I think that you will be OK with 750g of rice. Grind it, cook it and then mash it with the pale malt. 750g comes out to about 18% of the total recipe weight so you are a long way from the 40-50% amounts in Megabrew fizzy yellow beer.

Hi BigEd, point taken about the fizzy yellow beer.
Could drop the rice all together. Go all malt.

However your comment about the rice been 18% of the total bill, is not the issue.
The conversion by the base malt on the rice is the issue and is not 18% of the total grain count.
You have included the malt extract syrup in your calculations which should not be included.

Im after the % of whole rice that can be converted by the base malt 2 row.

Thanks

Hi BigEd, point taken about the fizzy yellow beer.
Could drop the rice all together. Go all malt.

However your comment about the rice been 18% of the total bill, is not the issue.
The conversion by the base malt on the rice is the issue and is not 18% of the total grain count.
You have included the malt extract syrup in your calculations which should not be included.

I understand that. My point about the total percentage of rice in the recipe is from a standpoint of it's impact on the flavor, body and color of the beer. Fizzy yellow macroswill like Budweiser is approximately 45% rice and 55% malt. At 18% rice your beer will benefit from the rice in terms of lightening and drying the profile a bit but not to the point of totally diluting the flavor.

Im after the % of whole rice that can be converted by the base malt 2 row.

Thanks

Again, as I said above if you go with 50% of the weight of the pale malt, which in that recipe would be 750g of rice, there shouldn't be any conversion problems.

Hi BigEd

Your right.
I came across a recipe that was
4 lbs 2 row malt
and 4 lbs rice hulls.

That's 50 % of the grain bill.

I think I do not need the rice anyway.
I've got plenty in it to get to 4% ABV.

Thanks

4 pounds rice hulls? There's nothing in rice hulls- they are empty. They are used (usually only 1/2 pound per 5 gallon batch) to prevent a stuck mash or stuck sparge when you use a sticky grain like oatmeal. That recipe must be a mistake (or else not a very good recipe).

Flaked rice (or Minute rice from the store) is very useful in making a light, thin beer. It provides fermentables but not much in the way of body or color. Check out Biermuncher's recipe "cream of three crops" for ideas on using adjuncts like corn and/or rice.

I know you said rice syrup solids aren't available in NZ, but +1 on using it in a recipe. I created my "Minute Wheat" recipe using 1lb (1/2kg) of rice syrup solids as 19% of the mash bill, and it was light and lovely, a real crowd pleaser!

I can vouch for the Minute Rice. It's also known as "instant rice". It's the precooked stuff. It can be mashed as is with your base malt. I don't remember the extract potential, but I believe it was in the mid 1030's.

What are the differences between using brown rice and white rice?

Today I just racked my third batch of a lite lager into secondary, and my grain bill was as follows.

Grain bill:
  • 6 lbs 2 Row Pale Malt 1.7-2.0 L

My addition @ mash:
  • 10.5 oz white rice

I didn't cook the rice, and I ran it through the same mill that I used on the 2 Row, but I didn't seem to really crush or alter the rice.

Should I cook the rice first?

or

Should I grind the rice in a coffee grinder, then cook the rice, and then add to mash? Also, do I really need to cook the rice first on the stove, or can I just add it to my MLT like I do with my the 2 Row, and then add my strike water, and by adding the strike water on top of the grain inside the MLT and letting the grains rest in the MLT for a period of time this becomes the process of cooking the rice.

Any help on this topic would be great.

If you use regular rice you should cereal mash it (cook it after a short mash.) Minute rice or flaked rice can just be mashed. I think a cereal mash results in more flavor.

Just mashin it like you did will work but you will get lower extract due to less starches being gelitinized.

If you use regular rice you should cereal mash it (cook it after a short mash.) Minute rice or flaked rice can just be mashed. I think a cereal mash results in more flavor.

Just mashin it like you did will work but you will get lower extract due to less starches being gelitinized.

I thought one of the main reasons adding rice to the brew was to take away some of the full flavor body of the malt/barley.

Also, I am confused by your above statement, "you should cereal mash it (cook it after a short mash.)"

Are you saying, grind it up in my corona grain mill, cook it on the stove, and then add it to the MLT?

Can you be a little more specific/structured with your response, i.e.

Steps for brewing with rice:
  1. step 1
  2. step 2
  3. step 3

You just mash it with about 33% base malt at 158-160F for 20-30 minutes before boiling it. After it's cooked add it to the main mash. You can add it to the strike water or use it to step up the mash temp.

Back