How much pumpkin pulp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgranger

Small Wave Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing a pumpkin ale, and am going to roast some pie pumpkins instead of canned. I've been reading up on how much pumpkin people have been using , and typically I see around 5-10 pounds. However, my question is, what do you think they mean when they are saying, "6 pounds of pumpkin" in the ingredients? Because 6 pounds of full, skin and stem and guts pumpkin comes out to more like 3 pounds of actual meat you will be using in the brew. Basically I took the advice of a recipe to roast 8 pounds of pumpkin, which ended up being about 4 pounds of meat. Do you think this is what they meant when they said roast 8 pounds of pumpkin? In other words, does 4 pounds of fresh pumpkin meat in the mash sound like a good amount?

When they say roast 8lbs I would imagine that means an 8lb pumpkin.

4lbs is fine you are extracting color and a minimal amount of fermentables. Most pumpkin beer relies on spices not on actual pumpkin as it imparts very little flavor even in large quantities.

4 different squashes:

roast all at 350 for up to an hour. scoop out flesh, add to mash tun on TOP of wet grains. mash out per usual by your chosen method.

i did this: increased grain bill by 15%
5lbs pie pumpkin, 1 acorn squash, and ommited the pumpkin pie spice mix - mashed at 152 and used wlp007
.5 oz e. kent goldings and .75oz chinook at FWH. then .5oz fuggles at 30 and again at 15.
all spices including cinnamon stick (minus pumpkin pie spice) were added at flameout. i plan to add a split vanilla bean in 1/4 c vodka at kegging

Last edited by a moderator:
a 6 pound cow doesn't mean 6 pounds of food I want. I think it's a fair question. Thank you jekeane, I'll give what I've got a shot

I used 8 pounds of pumpkin meat in my mash last year. No spices. I baked until soft.
It gave a very nice, subtle, pumpkin taste.

This year I will use at least 10 pounds and i am going to cook longer for more caramelization.

I read an article about cigar city saying they mix pumpkin puree with some brown sugar and maybe a little wort then roast that and add it to the fermenter. I may give this method a try.

Back