How much Pumpkin Pie Spice to add to porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxyaardvark

Reaction score
I'm making a pumpkin porter for the fall based off of the NB St. Paul Porter Recipe. Here it is:

KIT INVENTORY:
SPECIALTY GRAIN
- 0.5 lbs English Chocolate Malt
- 0.5 lbs English Dark Crystal

FERMENTABLES
- 6 lbs Dark malt syrup
- 1 lbs Dark dry malt extract
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
- 2 oz Cluster (60 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (1 min)

YEAST
- DRY YEAST (DEFAULT): Safale US-05 Ale Yeast. Optimum
temp: 59°-75° F

I was wondering how much pumpkin pie spice I should add to this. I don't want it to be overpowering but I want it to have an obvious presence. I do enjoy some spiced beers and I'm trying to make something that might be reminiscent of TREAT (Imperial Pumpkin Porter) by Midnight Sun Brewing. I was told at the home brew store to put the entire 2 Tablespoons in but from what I've read that sounds like a lot. What do you guys think?

That sounds like good advice. It is easy to overspice your beer (then, you are %$#ed). It's much better if there is a little hint that compliments the other flavours in the beer.

My personal take is to add maybe half of what you think you want to the boil.

Once the beer ferments out, you can make a spice tea. Basically, a cup of water and an tablespoon of spice boiled for a few minutes. Add a bit to the brew, stir, taste. Continue adding until you get to the level you want. That way, you dial in to the exact level you are looking for.

It is the 5 gallon brew. I was leaning toward trying about 1 tablespoon so I think I'll give that a shot and add more if i need to. Thanks for weighing in all.

Back