How much PSI for fresh kegged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
I’m trying to learn how to pinpoint my psi for beer in my legs. Most the time it is over carbed.

Right now I have 4 gallons of ginger beer I just tapped and 5 gallons of hazelnut coffee brown ale. The fridge is 36F. I usually crank it to 25Psi for a day or two. But I’m thinking i can slowly carb it this time. I have them both at 12PSI. Should I do something else?

Is there an online calculator for me to set the gas and forget it?

Thanks in advance.
Lorne

I’m trying to learn how to pinpoint my psi for beer in my legs. Most the time it is over carbed.

Right now I have 4 gallons of ginger beer I just tapped and 5 gallons of hazelnut coffee brown ale. The fridge is 36F. I usually crank it to 25Psi for a day or two. But I’m thinking i can slowly carb it this time. I have them both at 12PSI. Should I do something else?

Is there an online calculator for me to set the gas and forget it?

Thanks in advance.
Lorne

chart.jpg

12PSI is too high (for most peoples tastes, YMMV) for a typical brown ale (nearly 2.7 volumes of CO2 using the chart above). It's about right for a pale lager, and at the upper end for pale ales. About 2.2 volumes (7PSI at 36F) would be more appropriate. 10PSI seems to be typical, but is normally at a few degrees warmer. Be aware though that it takes WEEKS (at least two) to reach full carbonation with the 'set and forget' method. It's much faster to set a bit higher and drop back when you're nearly at ideal carbonation. 12PSI for five days, then dropping back to 7PSI would get you somewhere close.

Mmmmm, maltiness! with about 8 PSI in a keg, in the fridge for a week or so....poured with a $100 dollar tap handle!

Back