How much priming sugar in 5 gal keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrFubar

Reaction score
I'm brewing right now. I have no more room in my kegerator. I would like to put this batch, after fermentation and secondary into a corny keg. I can not refrigerate. I want to add priming sugar to the keg and let sit at room temp. How much do I put and will this work?

Thanks,
Don

Most of my recipes call for 5oz of priming sugar per 5 gal of beer for bottling. I would assume it would be the same if you are going to carbonate in a keg. It's the same volume of beer.

Hey this is great.. Thanks to all that responded.. Usually how long does it take to carbonate using priming sugar? anyone? ballpark?

It depends on a few factors, mainly temperature. Try to keep it stored at a temperature around 70F.

Most likely, they will be ready in 3 weeks. Always remember:

3 weeks @ 70. 3 weeks @ 70! 3 weeks @ 70!!

Yes, it works great!

Use 2.5 ounces of corn sugar (by weight) for a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon keg, and you'll be all set.

I have DME so it calls for about 5 ounces. Thanks

Hey this is great.. Thanks to all that responded.. Usually how long does it take to carbonate using priming sugar? anyone? ballpark?

That might be ok for bottling (although low), but not for kegging. If you want to use a calculator (and I hate them, but some people like them), then use one that gives you the choice for kegging.

You use about half of the priming sugar for a full 5 gallon keg as you would for the same amount of beer if bottling. The reason has to do with a lowered amount of headspace in the keg, compared to the same volume of beer in individual bottles.

Back