How Much Priming Sugar for One Gallon Batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyWarrior

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've done plenty of searching online and can't seem to find a consistent answer.

I'm doing some one-gallon test batches. Is there a rough rule of thumb for how much bottling sugar to use and how much water to boil it in?

Thanks,
HW.

I've read here and used 5oz per 5 gallons, so I'd guess an ounce or less of table sugar would work OK.

No more than 1 ounce. It depends on the style of beer and your preference. You only need enough water to dissolve the sugar.

It depends on your target carbonation level, which is typically based on the style of the beer or simply your preference.
It's my belief that the temperature used in the calculators refers to the temperature of the beer at the time of bottling (when you put the cap on).
Because the priming mix, when added and capped, make up the steady state.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It depends on your target carbonation level, which is typically based on the style of the beer or simply your preference.
It's my belief that the temperature used in the calculators refers to the temperature of the beer at the time of bottling (when you put the cap on).
Because the priming mix, when added and capped, make up the steady state.

The priming calculators, if taken literally, would certainly mean exactly what you say about temperature. However, if you let the temperature rise during fermentation the CO2 in suspension at the cooler temperature will come out of suspension and escape. If you then cold crash the CO2 will not be there to go back in. So if you bottle at 45 degrees and enter that temp in the calculator, the calculator will give you too low a number for the priming sugar.

If you always use between .75 oz and 1 oz per gallon (as suggested by Yooper) you cannot go too wrong.

I use this calculator:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Keep in mind that the temperature entered should be the highest temp reached during fermentation.

But the 1 oz per gallon rule works well.

for sake of clarity, I think we should state that as the highest temperature reached after the end of active fermentation. If you reach a high temp, and then lower the temp while it continues to ferment, then it will reuptake that new CO2

for sake of clarity, I think we should state that as the highest temperature reached after the end of active fermentation. If you reach a high temp, and then lower the temp while it continues to ferment, then it will reuptake that new CO2

True, although I would not lower the temp on an active fermentation (unless it ran away from me) no doubt someone uses that process.

True, although I would not lower the temp on an active fermentation (unless it ran away from me) no doubt someone uses that process.

It would apply to those without temp control who are subject to mother nature's whims, and those who fight for control of the household thermostat

Back