How much priming sugar do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tophe

Reaction score
How much corn sugar do you guys generally use for a 5 gallon batch? They come in 5 oz packages, but ive never used a whole pack. I've been using 3/4 to 1c for mine. I see some recipes call for 5 oz. Im always worried about overcarbonating. Id rather have it a little under , than over.

Assuming your bottle conditioning at room temp, the standard is 4oz (by weight) which is roughly 3/4 c. and that gives you about 2.5 volumes of co2. 5oz would give you nearly 3 volumes of co2 which would be good for things like wheat beers, hefes ect.

If I were going to instruct a friend on bottle conditioning, I'd say go closer to 1/2 a cup than 3/4 of a cup.

My problem (when I bottled) was over carbonation. Too much fizz takes away from the taste of the beer.

Keep in mind (yeah it's simple I know, but can easily be overlooked) is that if you batch is a little short on volume then you really should adjust the amount of priming sugar. A simple fractional decrease (or increase for overshooting your volume) is all that is needed.

Yeah, i havent really had any problems with my carbonation. I read a recipe that said 5oz, and the packs come in 5 oz. I thought it seemed like a little too much.

you'll be alright...it'll still be good.

I almost forgot to add sugar once. I had everything ready and was about to fill the first bottle when I remembered....that would have sucked .

I used about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups of corn sugar to a 5 gal. batch. Never had a problem with over carbonation.

Back