How much loss from the Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patriot

Reaction score
When you brew a heavier ale, like a Scotch Ale for example, in a 5 gal carboy, how much would you expect if any beer to loose from any overflow from excessive bubbling? Is it normal for this to happen?

I lost some, and thought maybe it was due to cleanliness, but everytime I've ever done a heavy ale, I always get tons of bubbling, and even lose up to 1/2gal. I clean the heck out of it with steaming water, and chlorine, along with all of my other stuff, but can't figure it out. This has happened a few times now, and like I said, always with the heavy beers. What gives?

More fermentables => more fermentation activity. The yeast will ramp up to higher cellcounts during their growth phase and you'll have more fermentation activity due to the higher amount of fermentables in the wort.

BTW, almost everybody who does a primary fermentation in a carboy uses a 6.5g jobbie. The 5g's are generally used for secondary fermentations where you won't see fermentation activity.

Ok, it is a 6.5 gallon carboy, because there's plenty of space on top when it fill it with 5 gallons of beer. I just wasn't sure if losing this muich beer was normal or not.

Latest posts

Back