How much hops to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeutronBoy

Reaction score
I am getting back into brewing after many years and striking out to do some brews that didnt come in a box. I just unboxed my new Grainfather after moving interstate (what a pain, but glad to be out of NY) and bought a book with brew recipes (BYO Book of Big Clone Recipes). I am not sure how to enter in an amount of hops in the grainfather software. The book states a hops addition as follows (there are other hops additions too):

1.4 AAU East Kent Golding pellet hops (30 min) (0.2 oz/6g at 6.9% alpha acids)

I see that it is calling for 0.2 oz or 6 grams at 30 minutes with 30 minutes remaining. I assume it is calling for a ballpark AA value of 6.9%, or is it saying the IBU for that particular addition should be 6.9?

I have entered in the various called for hop additions and the software calculates an IBU of 8.5, while the recipe says it should be 28.

What am I missing?

I think I figured it out. I will have to see the AA value on the hop package and plug that into the software and then adjust mass to achieve the AAU value stated in the book.

I think I figured it out. I will have to see the AA value on the hop package and plug that into the software and then adjust mass to achieve the AAU value stated in the book.
I think you've got it.

Hmmmm, not so sure now … I don't see how I get from AAU to IBU. I know there is a calculation, but I would think the software should do this from within the recipe.

p.s. I am also trying this in BeerSmith3

Back