How much headspace is needed for a low OG beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosh

Reaction score
Just how much headspace do you need for a weak beer? Obviously all beers need some headspace but how close can you cut it if you have a low OG?

Let`s say you have a standard plastic bucket fermenter intended for 5.5 gallon batches (of course a good bit more if you fill it to the brim) and brew a session beer with, say, 1.035 OG. Yeast matters so let`s say US-05 fermented at 68 degrees. How much of that beer can you get in the fermentor before blow-off becomes a danger?

My last batch was 6.3 gallons of 1.043 wort in a 5.5 gallon fermentor and no problems. Just wondering how much top-off water I can add if I`m making a session beer. SWMBO loves Kozel Dark which clocks in at only 3.8% ABV. A bit sweet for me but not watery at all. Being able to make a 7 gallon batch of something with a similar grain bill and US-05 yeast in one fermenter would be nice.

Ummm...I'm curious how you're fitting 6.3 gallons into a 5.5 gallon fermenter, unless the laws of physics do not apply in your brewery. Most of my buckets are either 6.5 or 6.7 gallons, if that's what you mean by a "5.5 gallon fermenter".

To answer your question, there's a LOT of factors that go into how much headspace you need. Biggest one I've found is yeast strain, moreso than gravity. Top-cropping strains (Weizen strains most, Belgian and English strains too but less so) often produce the most krausen.

About to keg a pale ale that fermented with about 1" of head space. I used a blow off, but probably didn't really need it.
I'd still suggest a blow off with that much volume

I to am puzzled. I'm guessing it's a typo and you meant 5.3 in a 5.5 gallon carboy. Although I didn't know this size existed till now.

I have never experienced a blow off. All my fermentations are fairly unexciting. 5.5 gallon batches in 6 gallon carboys with precise temperature control.

I don't know what the leading factor is in determining violent fermentations. Runaway heat is always a suspect as is yeast strain. I generally ferment on the boring cooler side of things so perhaps that is an important negating factor.

Ummm...I'm curious how you're fitting 6.3 gallons into a 5.5 gallon fermenter, unless the laws of physics do not apply in your brewery. Most of my buckets are either 6.5 or 6.7 gallons, if that's what you mean by a "5.5 gallon fermenter".

To answer your question, there's a LOT of factors that go into how much headspace you need. Biggest one I've found is yeast strain, moreso than gravity. Top-cropping strains (Weizen strains most, Belgian and English strains too but less so) often produce the most krausen.

Looking up the Korean web store I bought it from the thing is 38 liters (10 gallons) if filled absolutely to the brim but sold as a fermentor for just 20 liters of beer (5.3 gallons) the numbers on the side for recording how many liters the bucket is currently holding only go up to 22.

Sorry for being confusing, was talking about the volume of beer the bucket is advertised as being used for not the physical volume of the bucket.

So with a bucket that holds 10 gallons and good old US-05 yeast (which isn`t terribly explosive) how much wort can I safely pack into the thing?

So with a bucket that holds 10 gallons and good old US-05 yeast (which isn`t terribly explosive) how much wort can I safely pack into the thing?

8 gallons no worries for most yeast strains. That's a 20% headspace.

Not really sure where your getting your volumes from. 10 gallon vessel is big as you like. Hard to lift that with 8 gallons inside. A keg is 15 ish gallons and they are heavy when full. Really heavy.

Back