How much grain in your inventory ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many pounds of grain in your inventory ?

• What inventory? I only order enough for the next batch.

• Under 100 lbs

• 100 - 300 lbs

• If nuclear war breaks out I'm good for the next 5 years!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Frank99

Reaction score
I just checked and I've got 160 lbs of grain (2 row, Victory, Munich, etc.) and I'm thinking of getting some more at the LHBS (~$0.85/lb if I buy in 50lb bags)... I'm just wondering on average what everyone is keeping on hand.

I like my grains to be "fresh" so I keep a bag of 2-row (straight from the maltster, no middleman). My specialty grains are low as of today's inventory, about 25 lbs.

So right now about 60 lbs.

85lbs 2row pale malt,
50lbs white wheat malt,
25lbs red wheat malt,
22lbs of crystal malt 150L,
15lbs brown malt,
10lbs smoked malt,
5lbs each of chocolate malt, black malt and roasted barley,
150lbs 6row barley (for malting),
50lbs oats,
50 lbs premium pasture grass mix.

I'm set:rockin:

180 pounds of 2 row and 75 of maris otter. About 100 pounds od specialty. Monday I will pick up another 300 pounds of base and specialty to get me through the year.

5lb special b
3lb crystal 120
35 lb 2 row
1lb black patent
1lb chocolate malt
2lb aromatic malt\
10lb white wheat
5lb flaked barley
3lb flaked corn
2lb flaked rice
5lb flaked wheat

1 or two more batches and im gonna need to go to the lhbs and pick up some specialty grains

How long do y'all keep specialty grains for.... I've considered splitting 55# sacks of colour malts with folks; such as, amber, brown, pale cholocate, chocolate, and black? How about roasted grains like non-malted roasted barley and roasted wheat? How about crystal malts? Is really worth a man's while to crystals in bulk?

I am going to be buying a 55# sack of Halcyon for my bitters. A sack tends to last me 3 or 4 brews at 12.5 gallons each.

50 lbs or less of base - Pale ale malt and sometimes a few lbs of leftover various grains. For the most part I go and buy the specialty grains and hops at the time I need them.

Wow, is it okay to buy enough malt to last a whole year? I didn't know people kept that much malt on hand. The most I've had on hand was enough for 3 batches, about 35 lbs. I thought I had THAT much in inventory for awhile, but I guess 2 months isn't long at all. i wish I knew some people in Staten Island that brewed, so I could split sacks with them. I have no LHBS, so i order all my stuff online. I try to order enough for 3 or 4 batches, so I don't have to keep paying shipping. I like MW's 10 percent off 10 lbs or more deal, saves me a little bit. I brew once or twice a month, so 55 lb sack would last me awhile.

Wow, is it okay to buy enough malt to last a whole year? I didn't know people kept that much malt on hand. The most I've had on hand was enough for 3 batches, about 35 lbs. I thought I had THAT much in inventory for awhile, but I guess 2 months isn't long at all. i wish I knew some people in Staten Island that brewed, so I could split sacks with them. I have no LHBS, so i order all my stuff online. I try to order enough for 3 or 4 batches, so I don't have to keep paying shipping. I like MW's 10 percent off 10 lbs or more deal, saves me a little bit. I brew once or twice a month, so 55 lb sack would last me awhile.

Uncrushed malt will last years when stored properly, :mug:

A BC will pay for itself in one or two sacks, depending on where/how you're buying now, where you buy sacks and what BC you buy.

135 2-row
55 Maris Otter
35 White Wheat
20 Pilsner
15 10L
15 20L
10 40L
25 Honey Malt
30 Pilsner
10 Cara-pils
5 each of
Chocolate Malt