How much carapils to add for head retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzanneb

Reaction score
Hi
Taking a second stab at a coconut porter and want a little better head retention this time. I know the oils have an effect on it but I figure a little caraps can't hurt. Or I have some flaked rye avail too if that would be better. Just not sure how much to use and don't want too much.

Here is recipe I am using

Can't see your recipe but you only need about 3-5% of your total grain bill to get a good result. Another item that you could use instead of Carapils would be Naked Oats (malted oat). It does the same thing to the body but imparts a "grape nuts" like flavor. It's a fantastic addition to beers like scotch ales, barleywines, and porters.

Here's the recipe

Here it is, straight from the horse's mouth!

Toasted Coconut Porter
Volume = 2.6 gallons
OG = 1.058; FG = 1.021
Boiling time = 60 min
Primary = 20 days at 65F
Secondary = 14 days at 65F

4.4 lb pale malt
0.8 lb chocolate malt
0.3 lb crystal malt (80L)

0.64 oz Northern Brewer whole hops (8.0% alpha) for 60 min
0.32 oz East Kent Golding whole hops (5.4%) for 10 min

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III
7.2 oz shredded coconut, toasted (in secondary)
2.18 oz dry malt extract (for priming)

Mash grains at 153F for 90 min. Add toasted coconut to secondary.

I don't have naked oats unless that is store bought oatmeal.
So 3 to 5 percent of this recipe would be

2.6 to 4.4 oz
Sound good??

High meaning I should let it ferment out longer or high meaning I should tweak the recipe.
Not sure what a high dog means. More sugar in the beer?

It means that possibly whoever wrote the recipe got that 1.021 as an FG & listed it that way. not taking into account for the gravity of the beer vs fermentables & what the FG should be. I'm thinking more like 1.012-1.015. It might've stoped for him at 1.021,stalling,& he left it that way.

Back