How much butt do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewfat

Reaction score
Making pulled pork for Christmas dinner. There will be nine adults and four young kids. The kids probably won't touch it.
How much should I cook? Is a seven pound butt enough?

I know I am new here but I have had a smoker for about two years now and been a cook in the Army the last 15 years. Is this the only meat being served? If so I would get another 7 lb butt.
If your having other meats then I wouldn't worry. I always over estimate when I am having people over anyways. I try and shoot for 1 to 1.5 lbs per person but I would rather have leftovers then run out. Just my two cents.
I wish I was have pulled pork for Christmas but we are doing the traditional ham.

Were having meatballs and lots of other sides and appetizers. I seem to think its enough.
Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to make more.
I usually am only cooking for my wife and I.

Yeah I always seem to find a reason to end up doing more then most think is a normal amount.

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

I'm with Bobby on this. If I've got my smoker fired up, I fill it. Pork shoulder, whole brisket, and spare ribs. The ribs come out first, naturally (about 5 hours), while the rest can take 18 to 22. Most gets portioned into 1.5 pound lots, vacuum bagged, and frozen.

If that's a 7 pound pork shoulder, bone-in, I'd get one more for sure. If there were 9 of me eating, and that was the only meat, then one 7 lb bone-in butt wouldn't be enough. Considering what else you're serving, it would probably be enough though. But why take a chance? You can always split up the leftovers and send them home with your guests, or package and freeze them in convenient sizes for your own family.

+1 on more. How is leftover pulled pork a bad thing? If you're going to have the smoker going all day, vacuum bag some and enjoy pulled pork again in February.

I guess ill throw another on. Hope it fits. I smoke on a weber kettle. Works great for me.

I will always make at least 3 butts at a time if not more, but the calculation to figure out how much is needed is pretty simple.

With other sides or food 1 portion is 4oz cooked meat. You can also figure many times that you will lose ~50% of the mass from trimming, cooking, and the bone. So a general rule is the have 1/2lb raw per serving.

Make as much pulled pork as you can, and then store the extra in vacuum bags and freeze them. When ready to serve again, just treat it as a boil in bag. The pork will come out fantastic, and it's nice to have some on hand whenever you want.

3/4 - 1 lb of raw per adult.

My question is why wouldn't the kids eat it? I was all over that stuff when I was a kid!

HexKrak said:
3/4 - 1 lb of raw per adult.

My question is why wouldn't the kids eat it? I was all over that stuff when I was a kid!

They will be too busy with toys and general craziness to eat.

Latest posts

Back