How much blueberry extract for 1 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricd7

Reaction score
Hello,

Been brewing a couple of years and have always done 5 gallon batches. Got a 1 gallon extract kit for Christmas and thought I would add some blueberry extract at bottle time. I bought the 1oz bottle of LorAnn extract which says it's super strong. My question is, how much do I start with? 1/2 teaspoon, teaspoon? Just not sure? Add some, stir and taste? Anyone ever used this extract on a small batch?

Ed7

The blueberry extract I have calls for 2 oz for a five gallon batch. I would say divide 2 oz's by 5. Might be easier if everything converted to millilitres since it will prob be a very small amount.

What you should do is add it dropwise to a sample of known volume. If you only have a gallon of beer, maybe go get a six pack of something similar in style, then add the extract a drop at a time to a bottle, tasting as you go. Then scale up to your 1 gallon, and round down a bit. You can always add more extract, but you can never take it out once it's in there.

Back