How many yeast packages for high gravity beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Wann

Reaction score
I am brewing an imperial stout this weekend. The recipe tells me that the OG should be around 1.082. I bought 2 packages of Wyeast 1028 London Ale because the back states that more yeast is needed for beers with an OG over 1.060.

My question is, should I just dump both packages in the wort in their entirety?

Thanks!

I am brewing an imperial stout this weekend. The recipe tells me that the OG should be around 1.082. I bought 2 packages of Wyeast 1028 London Ale because the back states that more yeast is needed for beers with an OG over 1.060.

My question is, should I just dump both packages in the wort in their entirety?

Thanks!

According to Beersmith you would need 4 packs in order to get the correct amount needed...unless you're going to make a starter I would say you definitely should add both.

Wyeast switched from production date to best by date recently. The rule of thumb that best by is 6 months from production isn't correct. From Wyeast - " This date guarantees our products for a minimum of 6 months." A few months ago I bought some Wyeast online. The best by date was 4/14/21 which would mean a production date of 10/14/20, using the 6 month rule. However my order shipped from the home brew shop on 10/12/20 which would mean the packaged date of the yeast was more than 6 months, or they packaged the yeast while it was on the FedEx truck. My guess as to why Wyeast changed date formats, so they could sell yeast that is now older than 6 months...which makes it harder to guesstimate viability.

For the OP, I'd suggest using 1m/ml/p pitch rate for a high gravity beer like that. So for 5 gallons of 1.082 beer, you'd need about 375B cells, which is close to half of what you have. If you can, make a 2.5L starter with both packages. That will give you plenty of cells. If you can't make a starter, I'd highly recommend getting more packs or you will be under pitching. Even for a normal gravity beer, 2 packs are barely enough.

Starters are super simple. Weigh DME, add water, boil, cool, add yeast. I know a lot of people are against it but get a stir plate and a decent scale. Ive multiplied many a many of packets of yeast in my day. Only one to date that didnt was the one I ordered from AIH, shot them a email and they sent out 2 more that same day. They will have my business forever and im grateful they had such good customer service cuz it seems like in todays climate its getting harder to find.

Thanks everyone! I will make the starter, this is all great info.

The other option I always tell people is to brew a lower gravity beer of a similar style first and then brew the high gravity beer and pitch it directly onto the yeast cake from the lower gravity beer. You’re brewing imperial stout, so you could do an Irish stout or a porter first. 1028 is great for all the dark beers. Also gets more than 1 use out of your yeast.

The other option I always tell people is to brew a lower gravity beer of a similar style first and then brew the high gravity beer and pitch it directly onto the yeast cake from the lower gravity beer. You’re brewing imperial stout, so you could do an Irish stout or a porter first. 1028 is great for all the dark beers. Also gets more than 1 use out of your yeast.

Basically just making a drinkable starter.

I do RIS with one pack of US-05. No problems hitting 14%. I've harvested and re-used HG yeast cakes with no problems either. Your results might vary.

Yep was going to say, if you can't do a starter (or don't have time to make it) with the liquid yeast, then use an equivalent dry yeast. More yeast, less cost when properly rehydrated. I do a RIS that uses two US-05. And most recently, I did a bigger version of that where I made a starter with both packets.

Back