How Many Use RO/DI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you brew with RO/DI water?

• I do not nor do I intend to brew with RO/DI water

• I use RO/DI water for all or most of my beers

• I do not use RO/DI water but intend to soon.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I got an RO system a year ago and have been very pleased with the improvements in my beers. I've worked up my mineral/lactic acid additions for different styles via the water spreadsheet, so I always know how to create the perfect water. It's also great to be able to nail my mash pH every time. My local water is very hard and it was always tough to brew certain styles. Now it's easy & cheap. I think I make my RO water for around a penny a gallon compared to the local grocery store getting 50 cents a gallon. I'll have my RO system paid for in no time!

BTW - the last DI step isn't necessary, and is perhaps even bad for your beer. Seems to me there is something about DI removing trace minerals that are still important for yeast health? Maybe someone else can chime in...

dan

I hear ya on local water being hard (and alkaline!). Still depending on the RO systems I've seen, I'd have to brew more beer than I do now to beat $23 in grocery store water/yr. I average 3 gallons used per 5 gal batch, 20 batches/year, and $.39/gallon cost.

I use my RO system for all of my cooking/drinking needs as well - it more than pays for itself then, not to mention how much better it tastes...

100% RO. My well water smells like rotten eggs going onto the filter, tastes like pure chalk coming out of the filter, and only goes into my beer when the hose going to the IC leaks.

Back