how many taps do you have and how many do you want?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
currently I have 2 but I have already ordered most everything for a 4 tap keezer giving me 6. Right now I can't picture needing (or wanting) any more than that. But I was wrong about the 2

I go back and forth on how many I want. I currently don't have any, which is way too few!

I'm in the process of layout a Keezer that will allow me up to 7 at a time, but I will probably keep it at 6, with 1 of them being a nitro tap at some point in the future. It feels like overkill, but I would rather build it once and be able to grow into it rather than build one that meets my "needs" now but that I will have to replace in the future.

Have three, only want three for now. It suits my brewing schedule and flow. If I were retired and had a lot more time to brew on my hands then I'd of course want more, though a dedicated nitro tap as mentioned above sure does sounds awesome.

Rev.

Zip, zero, zilch but I'd love a million. :)

Getting tired of bottling...

I'm happy with three.

I drink a lot of beer, but I drink few styles that benefit from age so three taps are plenty for me. My kegerator holds 6, so I can have some carbing up, or something lagering, and still have three on tap.

I've been meaning to create a thread similar to this to ask this sort of question.

How long does it take most of you to go through a 5 gallon batch when its kegged? I find that right now that I'm bottling, some batches take me months to go through (even after giving away *tons* of the beer). Could just brew 2 or 3 gallon batches and buy smaller kegs to have 2 taps, but I'd be drunk basically 100% of the time with 2 taps on 5 gallon kegs. Also though don't wanna buy a 2 tap system and immediately be like "what the hell I need 4 taps this is baloney".

I have 5 and wanted 5, one is dedicated to soda though. Super ashamed to say that I only have 2 beers and one soda on tap right now.

Last edited:
I have a three tap tower on a Bev Air kegerator which holds four kegs. This provides ample variety for me and the ability to cold crash the fourth keg while I finish one of the other three. I don't see needing more.

currently have zero, but a 4 tap brass tower in process, but I want THIS: :ban:

The TAP.JPG

I have three taps, and that has proven to be adequate for me.

I tend to fluctuate between all three taps running with one keg on standby to all three empty, because unfortunately my brewing seems to come in spurts.

Eight picnic taps, no collar, so low investment. I tend to go all-out, so if I upgrade with a collar, I will likely install eight faucets, maybe nine at that point because I could place my CO2 tank outside the keezer and fit a ninth keg in there.

Have 3 and that's all my current Keezer will hold. I want 8 with the capability to hold 10-12 kegs. I'd settle for building it out a couple at a time with the space to hold all the kegs.

I have 2 and would love 4, with room for extra kegs. I built a Fridgenstein, so two kegs is all that will fit in there. But I brew more than I drink... I'll be building a keezer in the future for sure!

Six, currently but debating whether or not to switch one to nitro or install #7. It's been tough getting/keeping six taps filled. Also need to check on space in the keezer.

I have 2. My kegerator only fits 2. In all honesty, I don't really need more than that, but wants and needs...

One day when I can build a proper man cave, I'd like as many as 6.

I have three, my keezer only holds three.

Three is plenty... until I brew a 15 gallon batch and then the variety is quite poor.

I don't have any now, but I figured I could make good use (and more friends :p) of 6.
I figure:
1) crowd pleaser (blonde/cream ale)
2) PA or IPA
3) Seasonal
4) Big beer that's been aged
5) Sparkling Wine/Cider
6) Soda

We'll see if that ever materializes though :p

I had three, but quickly found I wanted four. Now I have five.

If my keezer would fit more, I'd probably have more. But, five's pretty good.

Something hoppy
Something sessionable
Something dark
Something balanced
Something seasonal

Six, currently but debating whether or not to switch one to nitro or install #7. It's been tough getting/keeping six taps filled. Also need to check on space in the keezer.

Is the addage "If you build it they will come" apply in this case? I'm definitely not gonna ever make the assertion I don't drink a ton of beer (short bursts on Fridays where I'll down a bunch of research materials). Once your friends find out you have beer on tap regularly do they all of a sudden just start showing up a lot?

I know I could keep two full all the time and still feel like I'm letting whatever is in it get too old particularly if I make a hefeweizen or other wheat ales.

I have 6 with room for 4 more in the Maytag 14cf chest freezer. 6 Seems like a solid number for me and works for my brew schedule. I like being able to store bottled beer, yeast, and/or spare kegs in the extra room. I only use picnic taps at the moment and they work great, I want external taps eventually but the cost of 6 nice taps seems painful.

I had three, but quickly found I wanted four. Now I have five.

If my keezer would fit more, I'd probably have more. But, five's pretty good.

Something hoppy
Something sessionable
Something dark
Something balanced
Something seasonal

I have three but agree with this one.

I have 1 pretty much dedicated to Apfelwein
I have 1 that is for the crowd pleaser style, easy drinking, cream ale, blonde, etc
I have a third for stouts, pale ales, IPAs and what have you.

I want a fourth to split up the tap 3 choices so I can always have something dark on a dedicated tap, and would like to put in a soda tap eventually.
So I could do 6.

When I get off my butt and design my bar area, I will probably retire my current keezer and use it as ferm freezer #2 and rebuild a new keezer with more capacity and look prettier.

I have two taps and room for two kegs. Rather than have more taps, I'd like room for more kegs. Say 4 or 5 kegs total. That way the two taps are always pouring and I can keep a nice mixture of ales and lagers going.

Someday I'm gonna stumble upon an extra 6 or 7 hundred bucks and build myself a nice keezer with one of those GE 7 cubic footers.

Cheers.

I currently can do 3, but could do 4. But I'd have to move the CO2 outside the fridge, which would probably make sense anyway

I've got 4. One is dedicated to cider, one to APA/IPA/IIPA, one to Belgians (usually saison or tripel), and one that rotates. Currently it's a SMaSH English pale ale, before that was a coconut robust porter.

4 is a great number for me. Variety is key. It's tough to keep up, but I'll get bored if I don't have a few to choose from.

i have 2. i would like 4 or 5. My kegerator holds 3 kegs though.

I have three in the kegerator and a two gas line system in the basement for the sake of carbing etc. I could have 5. I would love to have a keezer with 6 taps.

I have 3. Generally that seems to be a good number of taps for me. What I would like though is the ability to hold an extra keg or two so I can have an on deck circle carbonating.

It really varies how long each keg lasts. Some of them sit for months and some of them get kicked in a day if people are over

I currently have a 6-faucet keezer (2 towers). I also have a 4-faucet jockey box I just built, plus some picnic taps I used in an extra fridge in the basement storage room. One of the faucets is dedicated to cherry cider, and then I generally try to keep something stout-ish, something belgian, something yellow, something hoppy, and something english on tap.

I think this is about right. I'm going to get a nitro setup soon-ish, maybe I'll add another 2-faucet tower to my keezer, but probably not - I'll just swap one of the perlicks out for the stout faucet. The jockey box gives me the flexibility to serve from cellar-temp kegs without chilling them down, which means if I have folks over I can run through a lot of different kegs and taste them all.

I have 11, and that's probably where I'll stay. I started with a 3 tap tower on my bar. The kegerator for that held exactly 3 kegs, so there was no room for carbing or storage. Then I got a 21 cu ft upright freezer. I put 8 taps on the front and it can hold 11 ball locks. Perfect for me. I can have big beers on a few taps that can stay on there for a while. And also plenty of taps for a wide selection. When I have a party at the house there will be a beer on tap for almost anyone to enjoy.

When our old keezer finally died beyond repair HWMO (he who must obey) decided we needed 8, so we got a big upgrade last Christmas. 2 are stout taps, and we often have a commercial keg as well. With that we've usually got 6-8 tapped but that's mostly because I've been doing a lot of 2.5 gal batches. Even then we've got to have folks over for regular happy hours to keep the turnover going. Not a bad problem to have I guess.

I have a 6 tap upright, I'm happy with it, but I have never yet had something on all 6 at the same time.

I have 4. That is plenty. I can't make it fast enough so I usually always have at least 1 empty tap. Plus I have an interchangeable sanke on the one for commercial brews. I might actually go back down to 3 taps when I move it to my new bar in the basement.

I have three, I'm happy with three in my house... I want 50+ in my brewery..

I have four. I started with a three tap system, but since I had room in the kegerator for a fourth keg, I decided to add another tap.

Ideally, I'd like to have 8 taps. I love having a big variety to choose from. I get bored drinking the same beer over and over. I'd much rather have a half glass or so of eight different beers than drinking the same one all night. With eight taps I could have an IPA or two, a light ale or lager for the masses, a stout, a big high gravity beer, a seasonal, maybe a cider, and whatever else I happen to have in the pipeline all on tap.

One problem is that two of my friends that drank a LOT of my beer both moved out of the area. My turnover is much slower now.

Time to start daydreaming...

Back