How many starter steps will I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atmfuge

Reaction score
I just bottled an my first all grain batch, an American Amber, and was able to harvest about a cup of yeast before accidents knocking my fermenter over. I collected the yeast in a sterilized jar and would like to know how many steps I will need to grow a starter for another 1.05ish ale?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When are you planning on brewing the next batch? If within a couple of weeks, you can direct pitch what you harvested and not bother with a starter.

When are you planning on brewing the next batch? If within a couple of weeks, you can direct pitch what you harvested and not bother with a starter.

I ran it in Mr. Malty and it says I will need around 250ml of slurry in a worst case scenario (1bn/ml @ 75% yeast) That is about 8 ounces. Is there an easy way to tell the concentration of my yeast slurry?

I always go with the default settings for repitching slurry. It's never failed me. Most of my 5 gal ale (1.050-ish OG) batches require about 4 oz slurry.

Same. If I grow a starter off a vial or smack pack I assume a thicker slurry. However, if I'm using washed yeast it tends to be a lighter concentration. If in doubt, conservative default settings work fine.

Back